This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement on Cylinder-to-Cylinder Variation Using a Cylinder Balancing Control Strategy in Gasoline HCCI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion offers significant efficiency improvements compared to conventional gasoline engines. However, due to the nature of HCCI combustion, traditional HCCI engines show some degree of sensitivity to in-cylinder thermal conditions; thus higher cylinder-to-cylinder variation was observed especially at low load and high load operating conditions due to different injector characteristics, different amount of reforming as well as non-uniform EGR distribution.
To address these issues, a cylinder balancing control strategy was developed for a multi-cylinder engine. In particular, the cylinder balancing control strategy balances CA50 and AF ratio at high load and low load conditions, respectively. Combustion noise was significantly reduced at high load while combustion stability was improved at low load with the cylinder balancing control.
CitationYun, H., Kang, J., Chang, M., and Najt, P., "Improvement on Cylinder-to-Cylinder Variation Using a Cylinder Balancing Control Strategy in Gasoline HCCI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0848, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0848.
Kinetically Controlled CI Combustion and Controls, 2010
Number: SP-2280; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2280; Published: 2010-04-13
- Iwabuchi, Y. Kawai, K. Shoji, T. Takeda, Y. “Trial of New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignition Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0185 1999
- Kanda, T. Hakozaki, T. Uchimoto, T. Hatano, J. Kitayama, N. Sono, H. “PCCI Operation with Fuel Injection Timing Set Close to TDC,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0920 2006
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Kitahara, Y. Aiyoshizawa, E. “Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0200 2001
- Yun Hanho Reitz Rolf D. “Combustion Optimization in the Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regime,” Int. Journal of Engine Research 2005
- Hiraya, K. Hasegawa, H. Urushihara, T. Iiyama, A. Itoh, T. “A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine - A Trial of Operation Region Expansion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0416 2002
- Urata, Y. Awasaka, M. Takanashi, J. Kakimura, T. Takozaki, T. Umemoto, A. “A Study of Gasoline-fueled HCCI Engine Equipped with an Electromagnetic Valve Train,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1898 2004
- Cairns, C. Blaxill, H. “The Effects of Combined Internal and External Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Gasoline Controlled Auto-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0133 2005
- Morikawa, H. Ishibashi, Y. “An Experimental Approach to the Controlled Auto-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0173 2007
- Najt, P. Foster, D. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 830264 1983
- Thring, R. H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 892068 1989
- Koopmans, L. Ogink, R. Denbratt, I. “Direct Gasoline Injection in the Negative Valve Overlap of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1854 2003
- Shen, Y. King, E. Pfahl, U. Krile, R. Slone, E. Orban, J. Wright, K. “Fuel Chemistry Impacts on Gasoline HCCI Combustion with Negative Valve Overlap and Direct Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4105 2007
- Urushihara, T. Hiraya, K. Kakuhou, A. Itoh, T. “Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0749 2003
- Fuerhapter, A. Piock, W. Fraidl, G. “CSI - Controlled Auto Ignition - the Best Solution for the Fuel Consumption - Versus Emission Trade-Off?,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0754 2003
- Babajimopoulos, A. Lavoie, G. Assanis, D. “Modeling HCCI Combustion with High Levels of Residual Gas Fraction - A Comparison of a Two VVA Strategies,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3220 2003
- Wolters, P. Salber, W. Geiger, J. Duesmann, M. Dilthey, J. “Controlled Auto Ignition Combustion Process with an Electromechanical Valve Train,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0032 2003
- Yun, H. Wermuth, N. Najt, P. “Development of Robust Gasoline HCCI Idle Operation Using Multiple Injection and Multiple Ignition Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0499 2009
- Wermuth, N. Yun, H. Najt, P. “Enhancing Light Load HCCI Combustion in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine by Fuel Reforming During Recompression,” SAE Int. J. of Engines 2 1 823 836 2009
- Yun, H. Wermuth, N. Najt, P. “Extension of high load limit of HCCI combustion using spark-assisted stoichiometric HCCI Combustion,” SAE 2010
- Krstic Miroslav Deng Hua “Stabilization of Nonlinear Uncertain Systems,” Springer
- Eng, J. A. “Characterization of Pressure Waves in HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2859 2002
- Urushihara, T. Yamaguchi, K. Yoshizawa, K. Itoh, T. “A Study of a Gasoline-fueled Compression Ignition Engine - Expansion of HCCI Operation Range Using SI Combustion as a Trigger of Compression Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0180 2005