This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studies of Diesel Particulate Filter Performances by a Diesel Engine Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To evaluate various Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) efficiently, accelerated tests are one of effective methods. In this study, a simulator composed by diesel fuel burners is proposed for fundamental DPF evaluations. Firstly particle size distribution measurement, chemical composition and thermal analysis were carried out for the particulate matter (PM) generated by the simulator with several combustion conditions. The PMs generated by specific conditions showed similar characteristics to PMs of a diesel engine. Through these investigations, mechanism of PM particle growth was discussed. Secondly diversified DPFs were subjected to accelerated pressure drop and filtration efficiency tests. Features of DPFs could be clarified by the accelerated tests. In addition, the correlation between DPF pressure drop performance and PM characteristics was discussed. Thirdly regeneration performance of the simulator's PM was investigated. The PM oxidation occurred intensively at lower temperature than that of an engine. The pressure drop of the simulator's PM was higher than that of an engine. These differences between the simulator and engine might be almost explained by PM characteristics investigated in this study.
CitationFujii, S., Asako, T., and Yuuki, K., "Studies of Diesel Particulate Filter Performances by a Diesel Engine Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0813, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0813.
- Bunker Byron, “The Road to EPA 2010”, Integer Research Diesel Exhaust Fluid Forum 2008
- Ingram-Ogunwumi, R.S., Dong, Q., Murrin, T.A., Bhargave, R.Y. et al., “Performance Evaluations of Aluminum Titanate Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0656, 2007.
- Li, C.G., Mao, F., Swartzmiller, S.B., Wallin, S.A. et al., “Properties and Performance of Diesel Particulate Filters of an Advanced Ceramic Material,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0955, 2004.
- Furuta, Y., Mizutani, T., Miyairi, Y., Yuki, K. et al., “Study on Next Generation Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0292, 2009.
- He, Y. and Brown, D., “Durability of 2-Way SCR/DPF Concept for Diesel Emission Control,” SAE Light Duty Diesel Emission Control Symposium, 2008.
- Cox, J., Ballinger, T., Chen, H., Fedeyko, J. et al., “Advanced NOx Cotrol for Light Duty Diesel Certification,” SAE Light Duty Diesel Emission Control Symposium, 2008.
- Khalek I., “The Particulars of Diesel Particle Emission”, Spring 2006 Technology Today, Southwest Research Institute
- Konstandopoulos, A.G., Skaperdas, E., and Masoudi, M., “Microstructural Properties of Soot Deposits in Diesel Particulate Traps,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1015, 2002.
- Majewski W. A., “Diesel Particulate Matter”, DieselNet Technology Guide
- Schmidt, N., Root, T., Wirojsakunchai, E., Schroeder, E. et al., “Detailed Diesel Exhaust Particulate Characterization and DPF Regeneration Behavior Measurements for Two Different Regeneration Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1063, 2007.
- Strzelec A., Daw S., Toops T., Lance M., Meyer H., Howe J., Foster D., Rutland C., and Wal R., “Studies of Biofuel Impacts on Diesel PM”, 11th CLEERS Workshop, 2008
- Williams A., Pedersen D., Ireland J., McCormick B., and Fang H., “Affect of Biodiesel Blends on DPF and SCR Systems”, 11th CLEERS Workshop, 2008
- Wirojsakunchai, E., Schroeder, E., Kolodziej, C., Foster, D. et al., “Detailed Diesel Exhaust Particulate Characterization and Real-Time DPF Filtration Efficiency Measurements During PM Filling Process,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0320, 2007.
- Merkel G., Tao T., Cutler W., Chiffey A., Phillips P., and Walker A., “New Cordierite Diesel Particulate Filters for Catalyzed and Non-Catalyzed Applications”, Diesel Engine-Efficiency & Emission Research (DEER) Conference 2003
- Koltsakis, G.C., Konstantinou, A., Haralampous, O.A., and Samaras, Z.C., “Measurement and Intra-Layer Modeling of Soot Density and Permeability in Wall-Flow Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0261, 2006.
- Sappork, A., Santiago, M., Vianna, T., and Wong, V.W., “Characteristics and Effects of Ash Accumulation on Diesel Particulate Filter Performance: Rapid Aged and Field Aged Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1086, 2009.
- Rioult F., Trentini F., and Vaarkamp M., “Fuel Injection Strategy for Soot-Filter Regeneration” Diesel Engine-Efficiency & Emission Research (DEER) Conference 2008
- Zhan, R., Huang, Y., and Khair, M., “Methodologies to Control DPF Uncontrolled Regenerations,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1090, 2006.