This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of EURO-5/6 Level Particle Number Emissions of European Diesel Light Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Particle number emissions are measured with two instruments according to the upcoming European emission regulations for light-duty diesel passenger vehicles and compared to data from other methods, including the current regulatory total particulate matter (PM) mass, photo-acoustic soot sensor (PASS) and engine exhaust particle sizer (EEPS). At the very low emission levels of diesel particulate filter (DPF) equipped vehicles, the solid particle number data correlate well with soot mass and with particle number measured by EEPS, if only those particles belonging to the accumulation mode are considered in the latter case.
PN differences of ≻100% between tests of the same vehicle are observed. Comparison of the two PN instruments and the photoacoustic soot sensor show that these are systematic differences which originate primarily with the vehicle and not from instrument uncertainties. After accounting for this, a repeatability of ≺8% and a reproducibility of ≺27% are estimated for the particle number method.
A large body of new vehicle data is presented from tests carried out immediately after production. The data show that nearly all vehicles would be below the anticipated Euro-5/Euro-6 particle number limit. The observed variability is significant and needs further investigation.
CitationKirchner, U., Vogt, R., and Maricq, M., "Investigation of EURO-5/6 Level Particle Number Emissions of European Diesel Light Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0789, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0789.
- “on type approval of motor vehicles with respect to emissions from light passenger and commercial vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on access to vehicle repair and maintenance information.” 2007
- Price, P. Stone, R. Collier, T. Davies, M. Scheer, V. “Dynamic Particulate Measurements from a DISI Vehicle: A Comparison of DMS500, ELPI, CPC and PASS,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1077 2006
- Bergmann, M. Scheer, V. Vogt, R. Benter, T. “Comparison of the Performance of Real-Time PM Mass and Number Instrumentation for Vehicle Exhaust Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0116 2007
- Kittelson D. Hands T. Nickolaus C. Collings N. Niemela V. Twigg M. “Mass correlation of engine emissions with spectral instruments” JSAE 20045462 2004
- Mohr, M. Forss, A. M. Lehmann, U. “Particle Emissions from Diesel Passenger Cars Equipped with a Particle Trap in Comparison to Other Technologies” Environ. Sci. Technol. 40 2375 2383 2006
- Anderson, J. Giechaskiel, B. Munoz-Bueno, R. Dilara, P. 2007 Particulate Measurement Programme (PMP) Light-duty Interlaboratory Correlation Exercise (ILCE_LD Final Report January 2007
- Gilham Richard Quincey Paul NPL REPORT AS 17, Particle Measurement Programme - Analysis of Errors “071220 xx NPL accumulation of errors final.pdf”
- Maricq, M. Podiadlik, D.H. Brehob, D.D. Haghgooie, M. “Particulate Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1530 1999
- Maricq, M. Chase, R.E. Podsiadlik, D.H. “Vehicle Exhaust Particulate Size Distributions: A Comparison of Tailpipe and Dilution Tunnel Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1461 1999
- Vogt R. Scheer V. Kirchner U. “Measurement Challenges of Particle emissions at Euro-5 Level” 4. Internationales Forum Abgas- und Partikelemissionen 14./15 3 2006 Ludwigsburg 67 72 3-00-018207-1
- Schindler, W. Haisch, C. Beck, H.A. Niessner, R. Jacob, E. Rothe, D. “A Photoacoustic Sensor System for Time Resolved Quantification of Diesel Soot Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0968 2004
- Bergmann M. Kirchner U. Vogt R. Benter T. “On-road and laboratory investigation of low-level PM emissions of a modern diesel particulate filter equipped diesel passenger car” Atmos. Environment 43 1908 1916 2009
- Maricq, M. M. Chase, R. E. Xu, N. Laing, P. M. “The Effects of the Catalytic Converter and Fuel Sulfur Level on Motor Vehicle Particulate Matter Emissions: Light Duty Diesel Vehicles” Environ. Sci. Technol. 36 283 289 2002
- Harris, S. J. Maricq, M. M. “Signature size distributions for diesel and gasoline engine exhaust particulate matter” J. Aerosol Sci. 32 749 764 2001
- ACEA programme on emissions of fine particles from passenger cars  ACEA Brussels, Belgium 2002
- Guo, G. Xu, N. Laing, P. M. Hammerle, R. H. Maricq, M. M. “Performance of a Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter System During Soot Accumulation and Regeneration,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0047 2003
- Kobashi, N. Yamashita, T. Mori, N. Kawatake, K. “Investigation of the Particle Number Emissions Measurement Proposed by PMP” 13th ETH Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles Zurich 2009