This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PM Emissions from Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles Retrofitted with Diesel Particulate Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two Euro 4 light-duty diesel vehicles were retrofitted with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). One was retrofitted with a low efficiency flow-through DPF. And, the other was retrofitted with a high efficiency wall-flow DPF. PM emissions from both vehicles were evaluated under the new European drive cycle (NEDC) on a chassis dynamometer. Several instruments were used to measure particulate matter (PM) emissions simultaneously from different aspects for two retrofitted vehicles.
The PM mass emission from the vehicle retrofitted with the low efficiency DPF is close to 5.0 mg/km Euro 5 mass emission standard. However, the solid particle number emission is about 30 times higher than the Euro 5 solid particle number emission standard. Mass and number emissions from the vehicle retrofitted with the high efficiency DPF are well below Euro 5 emission standards. A small amount of soot (about 90 mg) loaded on the wall-flow DPF makes the DPF filtration efficiency which is calculated from the solid particle number emission to increase roughly from 90% to 99%. This may imply that more soot loaded on the DPF may not increase too much on the filtration efficiency, but mainly increase the pressure drop over the DPF.
CitationWei, Q., Ziegler, F., and Winkler, W., "PM Emissions from Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles Retrofitted with Diesel Particulate Filters," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0788, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0788.
- Ainslie, B. Rideout, G. Cooper, C. McKinnon, D. “The Impact of Retrofit Exhaust Control Technologies on Emissions from Heavy-duty Diesel Construction Equipment,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0110 1999
- Richards, P. Rogers, T. “Preliminary Results from a Six Vehicle, Heavy-duty Truck Trial, using Additive Regenerated DPFs,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0431 2002
- Chatterjee, S. Conway, R. Viswanathan, S. Blomquist, M. Klüsener, B. Andersson, S. “NOx and PM Control from Heavy-duty Diesel Engines using a Combination of Low Pressure EGR and Continuously Regenerating Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0048 2003
- Andersson Jon Giechaskiel Barouch Munoz-Bueno Rafael Sandbach Emma Dilara Panagiota Particle measurement programme (PMP) light-duty inter-laboratory correlation exercise (ILCE_LD) final report Joint Research Centre 2007
- Conclusions on improving particulate mass measurement procedures and new particle number measurement procedures relative to the requirements of the 05 series of amendments to regulation No. 83 2004
- Wei, Q. Oestergaard, K. Porter, S. Ichiro, A. Adachi, M. Montajir, R. “Real-time Measuring System for Engine Exhaust Solid Particle Number Emission - Design and Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0864 2006
- Giechaskiel B. Alessandrini S. Forni F. Martinez-Lozano P. Lesueur D. Carriero M. Martini G. Particle measurement programme (PMP) Heavy-duty (HD) inter-laboratory exercise, Exploratory work at JRC Oct 07 Feb 08 European Commission Joint Research Centre Ispra 2008
- Wei Qiang Ichiro Asano Wide range continuous diluter US patent, 7,201,071
- Podsiadlik, D. Chase, R. Lewis, D. Spears, M. “Phase-based TEOM Measurements Compared with Traditional Filters for Diesel PM,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0783 2003
- Gupta Sreenath Shih Jonathan Hillman Greg sekar Raj et al Transient, real-time, particulate emission measurements in diesel engines Proceedings of 9th Diesel Engine Emission Reduction (DEER) conference Newport, RI August 24-28th 2003
- Okrent, D. A. “Optimization of a Third Generation TEOM ® Monitor for Measuring Diesel Particulate in Real-time SAE Technical Paper 980409 1998
- Montajir, R. Kusaka, T. Bamba, Y. Adachi, M. “A New Concept Real-time Measurement of Particulate Matter (Soot and SOF),” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3605 2005
- Abdul-Khalek, I. Kittelson, D. Brear, F. “Diesel Trap Performance: Particle Size Measurements and Trends,” SAE Technical Paper 982599 1998
- Montajir, R. Kusaka, T. Kaori, I. Kihara, N. Asano, A. Adachi, M. Wei, Q. “Soot Emission Behavior from Diverse Vehicles and Catalytic Technologies Measured by a Solid Particle Counting System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0467 2007