This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Individual Cylinder Air-Fuel Ratio Estimation Algorithm for Variable Valve Lift (VVL) Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a multi-cylinder variable valve lift (VVL) engine, in spite of its high efficiency and low emission performance, operation of the variable valve lift brings about not only variation of the air-fuel ratio at the exhaust manifold, but also individual cylinder air-fuel ratio maldistribution. In this study, in order to reduce the air-fuel ratio variation and maldistribution, we propose an individual cylinder air-fuel ratio estimation algorithm for individual cylinder air-fuel ratio control. For the purpose of the individual cylinder air-fuel ratio estimation, air charging dynamics are modeled according to valve lift conditions. In addition, based on the air charging model, individual cylinder air-fuel ratios are estimated by multi-rate sampling from single universal exhaust gas oxygen (UEGO) sensor located on the exhaust manifold. Estimation results are validated with a one-dimensional engine simulation tool. The results of this study indicate that the estimated air-fuel ratios of the individual cylinders closely followed the experimental individual cylinder air-fuel ratios.
CitationKim, J., Oh, S., Lee, K., Sunwoo, M. et al., "Individual Cylinder Air-Fuel Ratio Estimation Algorithm for Variable Valve Lift (VVL) Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0785, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0785.
- Okazaki, S. Kato, N. Kako, J. Ohata, A. “Development of a New Model Based Air-Fuel Ratio Control System,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 335 343 2009
- Yasui, Y. Akazaki, S. Ueno, M. Iwaki, Y. “Secondary O 2 Feedback Using Prediction and Identification Type Sliding Mode Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0936 2000
- Maki, H. Akazaki, S. Hasegawa, Y. Komoriya, I. et al. “Real Time Engine Control Using STR in Feedback System,” SAE Technical Paper 950007 1995
- Benvenuti, L. Di Benedetto, M. Di Gennaro, S. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A. “Individual cylinder characteristic estimation for a spark injection engine,” Automatica 39 1157 1169 2003
- Grizzle, J. Dobbins, K. Cook, J. “Individual cylinder air-fuel ratio control with a single EGO sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 40 280 286 1991
- Kainz, J.L. Smith, J.C. “Individual Cylinder Fuel Control with a Switching Oxygen Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0546 1999
- Hendricks, E. Chevalier, A. Jensen, M. Sorensen, S.C. et al. “Modeling of the Intake Manifold Filling Dynamics,” SAE Technical Paper 960037 1996
- Powell, J. Fekete, N. Chang, C. “Observer-based air fuel ratio control,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine 18 72 83 1998
- Yoon P. Sunwoo, M. “A nonlinear dynamic modeling of SI engines for controller design,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 26 277 297 2001
- Shiao, Y. Moskwa, J.J. “Fault Identification in Engine Misfire Using a Runner-By-Runner Intake Manifold Pressure Observer,” SAE Technical Paper 960327 1996
- Wu, Y.-Y. Chen, B.-C. Hsieh, F.-C. Ke, C.-T. “A Study of the Characteristics of Fuel-Film Dynamics for Four-Stroke Small-Scale Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0591 2009
- Chevalier, A. Vigild, C.W. Hendricks, E. “Predicting the Port Air Mass Flow of SI Engines in Air/Fuel Ratio Control Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0260 2000
- Suzuki, K. Shen, T. Kako, J. Oguri, Y. “Individual A/F Control with Fuel-Gas Ratio Estimation for Multi-cylinder IC Engines,” American Control Conference 2007 5094 5099
- Hasegawa, Y. Akazaki, S. Komoriya, I. Maki, H. et al. “Individual Cylinder Air-Fuel Ratio Feedback Control Using An Observer,” SAE Technical Paper 940376 1994
- He, B. Shen, T. Kako, J. Ouyang, M. “Input Observer-Based Individual Cylinder Air-Fuel Ratio Control: Modelling, Design and Validation,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 16 1057 1065 2008
- Regitz, S. Collings, N. “Fast response air-to-fuel ratio measurements using a novel device based on a wide band lambda sensor,” Measurement Science and Technology 19 075201 2008
- Astrom, K. Wittenmark, B. Adaptive control Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc. Boston, MA, USA 0-201-09720-6 41 82 1989