This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Pre-treatment on Corrosion Performance of AZ31B Magnesium Alloy Panel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
AZ31B Mg sheet is being considered for automotive applications. This study investigates the effect of pre-treatments, such as heat-treatments and surface treatments, on the corrosion performance of AZ31B sheet, with a goal of learning which pre-treatment can improve corrosion resistance of the sheet material in production. It is found that the heat-treatment and oxidation during a warm and hot forming (WHF) process will not deteriorate the corrosion performance of the AZ31B sheet; polishing and acid etching can clean the surface and significantly increase the corrosion resistance, but corrosion can be accelerated by sandblasting which contaminates the surface. The change in corrosion performance can be associated with surface cleaning or contamination of the sheet by these pre-treatments. Furthermore, the influence of a pre-treatment on the uncoated AZ31B sheet may affect its corrosion behavior after coating. According to this study, conventional sandblasting is not recommended to remove damaged coatings and corrosion products on a Mg alloy part for coating repair. If used, deep acid cleaning should follow to eliminate the detrimental effect of sandblasting.
CitationSong, G. and Xu, Z., "Effect of Pre-treatment on Corrosion Performance of AZ31B Magnesium Alloy Panel," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0725, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0725.
- Schreckenberger, H. Papke, M. Eisenberg, S. “The Magnetism Hatchback of the 3-Liter Car: Processing and Corrosion Protection,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1123 2000
- Verma, R. Carter, J.T. “Quick Plastic Forming of Decklid Inner Panel with Commercial AZ31 Magnesium Sheet,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0525 2006
- Krajewski, P.E. “Elevated Temperature Forming of Sheet Magnesium Alloys,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3104 2001
- Song, G. 2005 Recent Progress in Corrosion and Protection of Magnesium Alloys Advanced Engineering Materials 7 563 586
- Makar, G.L. Kruger, J. 1993 Corrosion of Magnesium International Materials Reviews 38 138 153
- Song, G. 2009 Effect of Tin Modification on Corrosion of AM70 Magnesium Alloy Corrosion Science 10.1016/j.corsci.2009.05.031
- Song, G. 2006 Corrosion and Protection of Mg alloys Chemical Industry Press 38 40
- Blandchard, P.J. Hill, D.J. Bretz, G.T. McCune, R.C. Evaluation of Corrosion Protection Methods for Magnesium Alloys in Automotive Applications Neelameggham, N.R. Kaplan, H.I. Powell, B.R. Magnesium Technology 2005 TMS 2005
- Shi, Z. Song, G. Atrens, A. 2006 The Corrosion Performance of Anodized Mg Alloys Corrosion Science 48 3531 3546