This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Material Type, Surface Roughness, Compressibility, Shape, Gender, Age and Sense Modality on Perception of Automotive Interior Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of an experimental study conducted to evaluate the effects of four material characteristics and two driver characteristics on the perception of automotive interior materials. The perceptual characteristics of the materials were measured using two sensing conditions, namely, visual sensing only and combined visual and tactile sensing. The experiments were conducted using the Taguchi's L16 orthogonal array with seven independent variables, namely material type, surface roughness, compressibility, driver's age, driver's gender, and sensing method. Twenty-four subjects participated in the experiments. Each subject was asked to evaluate four treatment combinations and provide ratings using seven 5-point semantic differential scales. In addition, physical measurements were made on surface roughness, coefficient of friction, and compressibility. This paper presents the results and discussion of a) the correlation models developed between the seven factors chosen for the Taguchi experiment and the subjective data and b) the relationship developed between the subjective rating and the measured physical characteristics measurements.
CitationSarma, V., Bhise, V., and Mallick, P., "Effects of Material Type, Surface Roughness, Compressibility, Shape, Gender, Age and Sense Modality on Perception of Automotive Interior Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0682, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0682.
- Bhise, V.D. Mallick, P.K. Sarma, V.H. “Determining Perceptual Characteristics of the Automotive Interior Materials,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 2 1 1 11 2009
- Sarma, V. “Developing a methodology to select automotive interior materials” Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, The University of Michigan Dearborn 2008
- Besterfield, D.H. Besterfield-Michna, C. Besterfield, G.H. Besterfield-Sacre, M. “Total Quality Management” 3d Prentice Hall 2002
- Bhise, V.D. Hammoudeh, R. Nagarajan, R. Dowd, J.D. et al. “Towards Development of a Methodology to Measure Perception of Quality of Interior Materials,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0973 , Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 2005
- Bhise, V.D. Onkar, S. Hayes, M. Dalpizzol, J. et al. “Touch Feel and Appearance Characteristics of Automotive Door Armrest Materials,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1217 2007
- Onkar, S. Hayes, M. Dalpizzol, J. Dowd, J. et al. “A Value Analysis Tool for Automotive Interior Door Trim Panel Material and Process Selection,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0453 2007
- http://www.laserdesign.com/ Laser Design Inc. 2008