This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Intake Channel Design to Cylinder Charge and Initial Swirl
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two different medium-speed diesel engine cylinder head designs have been studied. The focus of the study has been the effect of intake channel design in the in-cylinder flow. The study has been carried out by CFD. The first cylinder head is a standard Wärtsilä 20 cylinder head and the second one is a specially designed head for a single cylinder research engine, called Extreme Value Engine (EVE). The CFD boundary conditions have been simulated by the help of a 1-d simulation code. In the full load cases the maximum cylinder pressure was 300 bar. Simulations have been done at lower load level too. One simulation with the new cylinder head was carried out with one intake valve closed in order to get an idea of the swirl to be generated by this approach. In the study the in-cylinder flow field, the cylinder charge and turbulence kinetic energy have been examined.
CitationAntila, E., Imperato, M., Kaario, O., and Larmi, M., "Effect of Intake Channel Design to Cylinder Charge and Initial Swirl," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0624, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0624.
- Eero Antila Ossi Kaario Pia Kilpinen Tuukka Lahtinen Martti Larmi Heikki Pokela Ari Saarinen Krista Stalsberg-Zarling Pertti Taskinen Jukka Tianen Olli Toivanen Mastering the Diesel Process Publications of the Internal Combustion Engine Laboratory, Helsinki University of Technology 79 Espoo 2004
- Lendormy, E. Kaario, O. Larmi, M. “CFD Modeling of the Initial Turbulence Prior to Combustion in a Large Bore Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0977 2008
- Fontana, G. Galloni, E. Palmaccio, R. Formisano, G. Tortorella, P. “Experimental and Numerical Investigations into Mixture Formation and Smoke Emission of a Turbocharged S.I. Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0952 2008
- Fyhr, C. Dahlberg, O. “Complete Engine Modelling Using CFD,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0109 2004
- Kallio I. Rantanen, P. Imperato, M. Antila, E. Sarjovaara, T. Larmi, M. Huhtala, K. Liljenfeldt, G. “The Design and Operation of the Fully Controllable Medium-Speed Research Engine EVE” CIMAC Paper 163 2007
- Herranen, M Huhtala, K. Vilenius, M. Liljenfeldt, G. “The Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (EHVA) for Medium Speed Diesel Engines - Development Steps with Simulation and Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1289 2007
- Larmi M. Sarjovaara T. Imperato M. Liljenfeldt G. Fontell E. Jussila S. EVE Lift Report, Internal report TKK, Internal Combustion engines laboratory 2008
- Kern Y. Kang Baek Je H. Turbulence characteristics of tumble flow is a four-valve engine Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 18 1998 0894-1777/98