This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Ambient Temperature on Flame Lift-off and Soot Formation of Biodiesel Sprays
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pure diesel and biodiesel were tested inside a constant-volume combustion chamber which simulates the in-cylinder conditions similar to a diesel engine and is more flexible to change the engine operation boundary conditions. The ambient temperature effect on flame lift-off length for both fuels was first investigated with fixed injection pressure, duration, ambient density, and ambient oxygen concentration. This was determined from time-averaged OH chemiluminescence imaging technique. Then, the impacts of the observed lift-off length variations on oxygen ratio upstream of the lift-off location and the soot formation process were also studied.
A Forward Illumination Light Extinction (FILE) soot measurement technique was adopted to study the soot formation process. The FILE technique with the capability of two-dimensional time-resolved quantitative soot measurement provides the much-needed information to investigate the soot formation mechanism.
The results show that as the ambient temperature increases, the lift-off length decreases for both fuel sprays. The reduction of the lift-off length from 800 K to 900 K ambient temperature is much larger than the reduction observed at higher temperatures. Biodiesel has a longer lift-off length than diesel at all ambient temperatures. Similar trends are seen with the oxygen ratio as those of the lift-off length. A significant decrease of soot emission for biodiesel is observed compared to diesel under all ambient temperatures. The soot formation duration increases with increasing ambient temperature. Shorter soot formation duration was also detected for biodiesel despite its earlier start of combustion.
CitationWu, Y., Huang, R., Liu, Y., Leick, M. et al., "Effect of Ambient Temperature on Flame Lift-off and Soot Formation of Biodiesel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0606, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0606.
- Carter, R. A. “Diesel Engine Suppliers Map Emissions-Reduction Strategies for 2011 and Beyond,” Engineering & Mining Journal Apr 2008 209 3 36 42 2008
- Environmental Protection Agency. “Control of Emissions of Air Pollution From Nonroad Diesel Engines and Fuel,” Federal Register 69 124 2004
- Black, D. L. McQuay, M. Q. Bonin, M. P. “Laser-Based Techniques for Particle-Size Measurement: A Review of Sizing Methods and Their Industrial Applications,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 22 267 306 1996
- Zhao, H. Ladommatos, N. “Optical Diagnostics for Soot and Temperature Measurement in Diesel Engines,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 24 221 225 1998
- Dec, J.E. “A Conceptual Model of D.I. Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper 970873 1997
- Siebers, D. Higgins, B. “Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0530 2001
- Siebers, D. Higgins, B. “Measurement of the Flame Lift-Off Location on DI Diesel Spray Using OH Chemiluminescence,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0918 2001
- Musculus, M.P. Dec, J.E. Tree, D.R. “Effects of Fuel Parameters and Diffusion Flame Lift-Off on Soot Formation in a Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0889 2002
- Siebers, D. Higgins, B. Pickett, L. “Flame Lift-off on Direct-Injection Diesel Fuel Jets: Oxygen Concentration Effects,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0890 2002
- Ito, T. Kitamura, T. Ueda, M. Matsumoto, T. et al. “Effects of Flame Lift-Off and Flame Temperature on Soot Formation in Oxygenated Fuel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0073 2003
- Pickett, L. M. Siebers, D. L. “Soot Formation in Diesel Fuel Jets Near the Lift-Off Length,” Int. J. Engine Res. 7 103 130 2006
- McCormic, R. L. Ratcliff, M. Moens, L. Lawrence, R. “Factors Affecting the Stability of Biodiesel Sold in the United States,” Division Fuel Chemistry 51 1 2006 14 15 2006
- Cheng, A. S. Upatnieks, A. Mueller, C. J. “ Investigation of the Impact of Biodiesel Fuelling on NOx Emissions Using and Optical Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” Int. J. Engine Res. 7 297 318 2006
- Xu, Y. Martin, G. C. Lee, C. F. “Natural Flame Luminosity of Oxygenated Diesel Combustion In A Spray Chamber,” 16 th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 2003
- Xu, Y. “Investigation of Clean Diesel Combustion with Oxygenated Fuel in a Constant-Volume Combustion Chamber Using Forward Illumination Light Extinction Technique,” Ph.D. thesis University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana 2004
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 960034 1996
- Siebers, D.L. “Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 980809 1998
- Siebers, D.L. “Ignition Delay Characteristics of Alternative Diesel Fuels: Implications on Cetane Number,” SAE Technical Paper 852102 1985
- Oren, D.C. Wahiduzzaman, S. Ferguson, C.R. “A Diesel Combustion Bomb: Proof of Concept,” SAE Technical Paper 841358 1984
- Durrett, R.P. Oren, D.C. Ferguson, C.R. “A Multidimensional Data Set for Diesel Combustion Model Validation: I-Initial Conditions, Pressure History and Spray Shapes,” SAE Technical Paper 872087 1987
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. Caton, J.A. Westbrook, C.K. et al. “Natural Gas Autoignition under Diesel Conditions: Experiments and Chemical Kinetic Modeling,” SAE Technical Paper 942034 1994
- Xu, Y. Lee, C. F. “Forward Illumination Light Extinction (FILE) Technique for Soot Measurement,” Applied Optics. 45 9 2046 2057 20 March 2006
- Nakakita, K. Nagaoka, M. Fujikawa, T. Ohsawa, K. et al. “Photographic and Three-Dimensional Numerical Studies of Diesel Soot Formation Process,” SAE Technical Paper 902081 1990
- Backer, H. Wiartalla, A. “Application of Light Extinction Methods for the Investigation of Soot Formation During Combustion in A Model Chamber,” International Symposium COMODIA 94 Japan 565 570 1994
- Xu, Y. Lee, C. F. “Study of Soot Formation of Oxygenated Diesel Fuels Using Forward Illumination Light Extinction (FILE) Technique,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1415 2006
- Gaydon, A. G. “ The Spectroscopy of Flames,” Chapman and Hall Ltd. London 1974
- Mueller, C.J. “The Quantification of Mixture Stoichiometry When Fuel Molecules Contain Oxidizer Elements or Oxidizer Molecules Contain Fuel Elements,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3705 2005
- Siebers, D.L. “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0528 1999
- Chaves, H. Knapp, M. Kubitzek, A. Obermeier, F. et al. “Experimental Study of Cavitation in the Nozzle Hole of Diesel Injectors Using Transparent Nozzles,” SAE Technical Paper 950290 1995
- Soteriou, C. Andrews, R. Smith, M. “Direct Injection Diesel Sprays and the Effect of Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip on Atomization,” SAE Technical Paper 950080 1995