This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Parametric Design and Formability Study of Boron Steel Bumper Beams
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Among the various high strength steels available today, boron steels are finding increasing applications in bumper beams and other crash resistant structures, primarily for their high strength. However, to overcome the forming difficulty at room temperature and to achieve the microstructural changes needed for high strength, manufacturing of boron steel parts is done under hot forming conditions. In this study, the effect of three principal bumper design parameters, namely depth, thickness and corner radius on the formability of a hat section bumper beam was considered. Using a forming simulation program, 27 different combinations of these three design parameters were examined for forming limits, failure types and failure locations. The bumper beams were also examined for energy absorption in pendulum impact tests. Recommendations are made for the design of boron steel bumper beams based on both impact energy absorption and formability.
CitationHociota, I. and Mallick, P., "A Parametric Design and Formability Study of Boron Steel Bumper Beams," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0433, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0433.
- Vaissiere, L. Laurent, J.P. Reinhardt, A. “Development of Pre-coated Boron Steel for Applications on PSA Peugeot Citroën and RENAULT Bodies in White,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2048 2002
- Mohan Iyenger, R. Fedewa, B. Wang, Y.-W. Maatz, D.F. Jr. Hughes, R.L. “Implications of Hot-Stamped Boron Steel Components in Automotive Structures,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0857 2008
- Wu, J. Zhang, L. Chen J. Wang, W. “Simulation of Hot Stamping Process with Advanced Material Modeling,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0168 2004
- Liu, H.S. Xing, Z. W. Bao, J. Song, B.Y. “Investigation of the Hot-Stamping Process for Advanced High-Strength Steel Sheet by Numerical Simulation” J. of Materials Engineering and Performance July 2009
- Karbasian, H. Klimmek, C. Brosius, A. Tekkaya, A.R. “Identification of Thermo-Mechanical Interaction during Hot Stamping by Means of Design o Experiments for Numerical Process Design” Numisheet 2008 2008 575 579
- Shapiro, A. B. “Using LS-Dyna for Hot Stamping” Proc. 7th European LS-DYNA Conference 2009
- Lanzerath, H. Bach, A. Oberhofer, G. Gese, H. “Failure Prediction of Boron Steels in Crash,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0989 2007