This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical and Thermophysical Properties of Magnesium Alloy Extrusions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Magnesium alloy extrusions offer potentially more mass saving compared to magnesium castings. One of the tasks in the United States Automotive Materials Partnership (USAMP) ?Magnesium Front End Research and Development? (MFERD) project is to evaluate magnesium extrusion alloys AM30, AZ31 and AZ61 for automotive body applications. Solid and hollow sections were made by lowcost direct extrusion process. Mechanical properties in tension and compression were tested in extrusion, transverse and 45 degree directions. The tensile properties of the extrusion alloys in the extrusion direction are generally higher than those of conventional die cast alloys. However, significant tension-compression asymmetry and plastic anisotropy need to be understood and captured in the component design. The thermophysical properties, thermal diffusivity, density, specific heat and thermal conductivity, of AM30 and AZ61 alloys were measured from room temperature (RT) to 425°C for numerical simulation of the extrusion processes.
CitationLuo, A., Forsmark, J., Sun, X., and Shook, S., "Mechanical and Thermophysical Properties of Magnesium Alloy Extrusions," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0410, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0410.
- Luo, A.A. “Wrought Magnesium Alloys and Manufacturing Processes for Automotive Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0734 2005
- Luo A.A. Nyberg E.A. Sadayappan K. Shi W. “Magnesium Front End Research and Development: A Canada-China-USA Collaboration” Magnesium Technology 2008 Pekguleryuz M.O. Neelameggham N.R. Beals R.S. Nyberg E.A. TMS Warrendale, PA 2008 3 10
- Hill S.I. Xu S. Luo A.A. Wagner D.A. “Dynamic Tension and Compression Properties of Extruded AM30 Magnesium Alloy” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) Annual Conference SEM, Inc. Bethel, CT, USA
- Brown Z. Luo A.A. Ouimet L.J. Sadayappan K. Musser M. Zindel J. Beals R. “Development of Super-Vacuum Die Casting Process for Magnesium Alloys” North American Die Casting Association Transactions, T09-043 2009
- Luo A.A. Sachdev A.K. “Development of a New Wrought Magnesium-Aluminum-Manganese Alloy AM30” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 2007 38A 1184 1192
- Xu S. Tyson W.R. Bouchard R. Gertsman V.Y. “Effects of Strain Rate and Temperature on Tensile Flow Behaviour and Energy Absorption of Extruded Magnesium AM30 Alloy” J. of Materials Engineering and Performance
- Jiang L. Jonas J.J. Mishra R.K. Luo A.A. Sachdev A.K. Godet S. “Twinning and Texture Development in Two Mg Alloys Subjected to Loading Along Three Different Strain Paths” Acta Materialia 55 11 3899 3910 2007
- ASM Handbooks Online ASM International Materials Park, OH 2009