This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Low Temperature Premixed Combustion (LTPC) on Emissions of a Modern Diesel Engine for Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a Low Temperature Premixed Combustion (LTPC) was investigated employing a four cylinder D.I. common rail Diesel engine, used for passenger cars on the European market. Experiments were carried out setting the engine speed at 2500 rpm with a fuel amount of 26 mg/str to realize an operating condition close to the point of NEDC at 0.8 MPa of BMEP. The experimental approach was the management of the start of injection, injection pressure and EGR rates as a method to control NOx and soot production. The investigation was first carried out testing engine performances and emissions as set from the commercial engine map. Afterward, engine tests were carried out exploring performances, gaseous and smoke emissions at late start of combustion [10 to 17.5 cad ATDC], injection pressures from 80 to 120 MPa and EGR rates up to 50%.
The management of injection timing coupled to increased injection pressures and moderate levels of EGR allowed to get a partial homogenization of the in-cylinder mixture with the production of lower NOx, HC and soot emissions compared to the existing engine map, with minor penalties on engine performances.
CitationValentino, G., Iannuzzi, S., and Corcione, F., "Effects of Low Temperature Premixed Combustion (LTPC) on Emissions of a Modern Diesel Engine for Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0333, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0333.
Kinetically Controlled CI Combustion and Controls, 2010
Number: SP-2280 ; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2280 ; Published: 2010-04-13
- Astarita M., Corcione F. E., Vaglieco B. M. and Valentino G., “Optical Diagnostics of Temporal and Spatial Evolution of a Reacting Diesel Fuel Jet”, Combustion Science and Technologies, vol. 48, 1-16, 1999.
- Corcione F. E., Di Iorio S., Mancaruso E., Merola S. S. and Vaglieco B. M., “Combustion Diagnostics of a Diesel Engine with Multiple Injection”, THIESEL 2004 Conference on Thermo and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines, pp 297-308, 2004.
- Najt, P. M., Foster, D. E., “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 830264, 1983.
- Kamimoto T., Bae, M-h., “High Combustion Temperature for the Reduction of Particulate in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 880423, 1988.
- Gray, A. W., Ryan, T. W., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 971676, 1997.
- Nakagome, K., Shimazaki, N., Niimura, K., Kobayashi, S., “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970898, 1997.
- Stanglmaier R. H. and Roberts C. E., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engine Applications”, SAE Trans. 108, 2138-2145 (1999).
- Kimura, S., Aoki, O., Ogawa, H., Muranaka S., and Enomoto, Y., “New Combustion Concept for Ultra Clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines”, SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3681, SAE Transactions, 108, No. 3, pp. 2128-2137, 1999.
- Opat, R., Ra, Y., Gonzalez M. A., Krieger, R.,Reitz, R., Foster, D., Durrett, R. P., Siewert, R. M., “Investigation of Mixing and Temperature Effects on HC/CO Emissions for Highly Dilute Low Temperature Combustion in a Light Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0193, 2007.
- Kanda, T., Hakozaki, T., Uchimoto, T., Hatano, J., Kitayama N., Sono, H., “PCCI Operation with Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0378, 2005.
- Christensen M., Johansson, B., “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Pilot Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1835, 2000.
- Akihama, K., Takatori Y., Inagaki, K., Sasaki S., Dean, A. M., “Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0655, 2001.
- Kimura, S., Aoki, O., Kitahara, Y., Aiyoshizawa, E., “Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0200, 2001.
- Duret, P., “Gasoline CAI and Diesel HCCI: the Way Towards Zero Emission with Major Engine and Fuel Technology Challenges,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1787, 2002.
- Bianchi, G. M., Cazzoli, G., Pelloni, P., Corcione, F. E., “Numerical Study Towards Smoke-Less and NOx-Less HSDI Diesel Engine Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1115, 2002.
- Shimazaki, N., Tsurushima, T., Nishimura, T., “Dual Mode Combustion Concept with Premixed Diesel Combustion by Direct Injection Near Top Dead Center,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0742, 2003.
- Sasaki S., Ito T., and Iguchi S., “Smoke-less Rich Combustion by Low Temperature Oxidation in Diesel Engines”, 9 Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2000, 767(2000).
- Denbratt, I., Helmantel, A., “HCCI Operation of a Passenger Car Common Rail DI Diesel Engine With Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0935, 2004.
- Choi D., Miles P. C., Yun H. and Reitz R. D., “A Parametric Study of Low Temperature, Late-Injection Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine,” JSME International Journal, Series B, Vol. 48, No. 4, 2005.
- Imarisio R., Ivaldi D., Lisbona M.G. and Tonetti M., “Technologies Towards Euro 6,” ATA International Conference “Towards Fuel Neutral Standards: Diesel vs Gasoline Engine”. October 18-20 2006, Siracusa Italy.
- Piperel, A., Montagne X., Dagaut, P., “HCCI Engine Combustion Control Using EGR: Gas Composition Evolution and Consequences,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0087, 2007.
- Yun, H., Sellnau, M., Milovanovic N., Zuelch, S., “Development of Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0639, 2008.
- Lewander, C. M., Ekholm, K., Johansson, B., Tunestål, P., Milovanovic, N., Keeler, N., Harcombe, T., Bergstrand, P., “Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics with Focus on Partially Premixed Combustion in a Heavy Duty Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1658, 2008.
- Hillion, M., Chauvin, J., Grondin, O., Petit, N., “Active Combustion Control of Diesel HCCI Engine: Combustion Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0984, 2008.
- Mancaruso, E., Merola S. S., Vaglieco, B. M., “Extinction and Chemiluminescence Measurements of HCCI Mode in Diesel Engine Operating with Late Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0027, 2008.
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S. M., Zhao, H., Hu, Z., “The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 1: Effect of Reducing Inlet Charge Oxygen,” SAE Technical Paper 961165, 1996.
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S. M., Zhao, H., Hu, Z., “The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 2: Effects of Carbon Dioxide,” SAE Technical Paper 961167, 1996.
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S. M., Zhao, H., Hu, Z., “The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 3: Effects of Water Vapour,” SAE Technical Paper 971659, 1997.
- Valentino G., Kamimoto T., Iannuzzi S., Minagawa T., Corcione F.E., A study on the effects of engine parameters on in-cylinder soot processes in a simulated direct injection diesel engine via the two-color method, 9th International Congress Engine Combustion Process Current problems and Modern Technologies March 19th - 20th, 2009, Munich, Germany.