This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interference between Engine Bay Flow and External Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study focus on the aerodynamic influence of the engine bay packaging, with special emphasis on the density of packaging and its effect on cooling and exterior flow. For the study, numerical and experimental methods where combined to exploit the advantages of each method. The geometry used for the study was a model of Volvo S60 sedan type passenger car, carrying a detailed representation of the cooling package, engine bay and underbody area.
In the study it was found that there is an influence on the exterior aerodynamics of the vehicle with respect to the packaging of the engine bay. Furthermore, it is shown that by evacuating a large amount of the cooling air through the wheel houses a reduction in drag can be achieved.
CitationChristoffersen, L., Löfdahl, L., and Jönson, A., "Interference between Engine Bay Flow and External Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0288, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0288.
Vehicle Aerodynamics, 2010
Number: SP-2269; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2269; Published: 2010-04-13
- Barnard, R. H. “Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design” 2nd MechAero Publishing 0-9540734-0-1
- Kuthada, T. Wiedemann, J. “Investigations in a Cooling Air Flow System under the Influence of Road Simulation” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0796 2008
- Soja, H. Wiedemann, J. The interference between exterior and interior flow on road vehicles, Sociéte des Ingenieurs de l'Automobile Journée d'etude: Dynamique du véhicule -Securite Active September 1987
- Gilliéron, P. Chometon., F. “Reduction of Cooling Air Drag of Road Vehicles: An Analytical Approach” SAE Technical Paper, 2001-01-1266 2001
- Henriksson, J. “Influence of Engine Compartment Packaging on the Cooling Airflow” M.Sc. Thesis Luleå Tekniska Universitet 2002
- Barnard, R.H. “Theoretical and experimental investigation of the aerodynamic drag due to automotive cooling systems” Proc Instn Engrs 214 2000
- Wagner, A. “The aerodynamics of the new Audi q5” Proceedings of the 7th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2008
- Christoffersen, L. Söderblom, D. Löfdahl, L. Jönson, A. “Development of a Model Scale Heat Exchanger for Wind Tunnel Models of Road Vehicles” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0097 2008
- Versteg, H.K. Malasakera, W. “Computational Fluid Dynamics -The Finita Volume Method” Longman Group LTD. Malaysia 1995
- Pope, S.B. Turbulent Flows Cambridge University Press 2000
- FLUENT 6.3 User's Guide Fluent Inc. 2006 09 20
- Kays, W.M. London, L.A. Compact Heat Exchangers McGraw-Hill Book Company 3rd 1984
- Jerhamre, A. On general knowledge of heat exchangers Technical report, Volvo Cars Internal Report Computational Fluid Dynamics Gothenburg, Sweden 2001
- Christoffersen, L. Löfdahl, L. Jönson, A. “Wheel Strut Interference” Proceedings of FEDSM2006 Miami 2006
- Hetherington, B. Sims-Williams, D. B. “Wind Tunnel Model Support Strut Interference” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0806
- Mercker., E. “A blockage correction for automotive testing in a wind tunnel with closed test section” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 149 167 1986
- Mercker, E. Cooper, K.R. Fischer, O. Wiedemann, J. “The Influence of a Horizontal Pressure Distribution on Aerodynamic Drag in Open and Closed Wind Tunnels” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0867 2005
- Christoffersen, L. “The Aerodynamic Correlation of a Scale Model with a Full Size Car” Ph.D. Thesis Chalmers University of Technology 2009
- Kuthada, T. “Die Optimierung von Pkw-Kühlluftführungssystemen unter dem Einfluss moderner Bodensimulationsteckniken” Ph.D. Thesis Expert Verlag 10: 3-8169-2664-9
- Williams, J. Aerodynamic Drag of Engine-Cooling Airflow With External Interference SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0996
- Christoffersen, L. Landström, C. Löfdahl, L. Quartey-Papafio, R. and Jönson, A. Influence of Moving Ground Conditions on the Cooling Flows of Road Vehicles Proceeedins of the 26th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference August 2008
- Van Dyke, M. “Album of Fluid Motion” Parabolic Press, Inc. 10 1982