This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Predictive Control of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves have been used in diesel engine operation to reduce NOx emissions. In EGR valve operation, the amount of exhaust gas re-circulating back into the intake manifold is controlled through the open position of the valve plate to keep the combustion temperature lower for NOx emission reduction. Different methods have been proposed to control the EGR valve. However, most of the approaches do not have the desired accuracy and the response time, which is critical for the after-treatment performance in low temperature diesel combustion. In this paper, the model of a motor driven EGR valve is first identified through experiments and then the Generalized Predictive Control (GPC) method which is an effective Model Predictive Control (MPC) method is applied to control the plate position of the valve.
CitationRajaei, N., Han, X., Chen, X., and Zheng, M., "Model Predictive Control of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0240, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0240.
- Zheng, M., Reader, G. T., and Hawley, J. G., “Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation-a Review on Advanced and Novel Concept,” Energy Conversion and Management. 45(6):883-900, 2004.
- Zheng, M., Kumar, R., and Reader, G.T., “Adaptive Fuel Injection Tests to Extend EGR Limits on Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3426, 2006.
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S.M., Zhao, H., and Hu, Z., “The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions-Part 1: Effect of Reducing Inlet Charge Oxygen,” SAE Technical Paper 961165, 1996.
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S.M., Zhao, H., and Hu, Z., “The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions-Part 2: Effects of Carbon Dioxide,” SAE Technical Paper 961167, 1996.
- Itoyoma, H., Uchida, M., and Miwa, H., “A Study of an EGR Control System for Diesel Engines Based on an Intake/Exhaust System Model,” SAE Technical Paper 970621, 1997.
- Yamada, T., Ikeya, N., and Kondoh, N., “New EGR System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 980775, 1998.
- Baert, R.S.G., Beckman, D.E., and Veen, A., “Efficient EGR Technology for Future HD Diesel Engine Emission Targets,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0837, 1999.
- Abd-Alla, G. H., “Using Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Internal Combustion Engines: a review,” Energy Conversion and Managmt 43(8): 1027-1042, 2002.
- Duernholz, M., and Endres, H., “A Measure to Reduce Exhaust Emissions of DI diesel Engines,” SAE Trans. Fuel Systems Gen. Emissions 10: 151-158
- Peng, H., Cui, Y., Shi, L., and Deng, K., “Effects of Exhaust Gas recirculation (EGR) on Combustion and Emissions During Cold Start of Direct Injection (DI) Diesel Engine,” Energy J. 33(3): 471-479 2008
- Oleksiewicz, R. A., “Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Apparatus,” U.S.Patent 6 014 960, Jan 18, 2000.
- Chang Yang, C., White, G. R., Henrich, R. S., Wang, Y. Y., Janssen, J. M., and Hatton, R. C., “EGR Valve Position Sensor Control,” U.S.Patent 6 467 469 B2, Oct, 22, 2002.
- Hardman, K., and Bonne, M. A., “Electrical Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Control,” U.S. Patent 7 124 751 B2, Oct 24, 2006.
- Gopp, A. Y., and Patel, S., “Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control System,” U.S.Patent 5 690 083, Nov, 25, 1997.
- Clarke, D. W., Mohtadi, C., and Tuffs, P. S., “Generalized Predictive Control. Part I. The Basic Algorithm,” Automatica. 23(2):137-148, 1987.
- Clarke, D. W., Mohtadi, C., and Tuffs, P. S., “Generalized Predictive Control. Part II. Extensions and Interpretations,” Automatica. 23(2):149-160, 1987.
- Camacho, E. F., and Bordons, C., “Model Predictive Control,” Springer, London, ISBN 3-540-76241-8, 1999.
- Kiencke, U., Nielsen, L., “Automotive Control Systems,” Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York, ISBN 3-540-23139-0, 2005
- Clarke, D.W., “Application of Generalized Predictive Control to Industrial Processes,” IEEE Control System Magazine, 122:49-55, 1998.
- Naeem, W., Sutton, R., Chudley, J., Dalgleish, F. R., and Tetlow, S., “Predictive a genetic algorithm-based model predictive control autopilot design and its implementation in an autonomous underwater vehicle,” Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment 218(3): 175-188, 2004.
- Low, K. S., Chiun K. Y., and Ling, K. V., “Evaluating Generalized Predictive Control for a Brushless dc Drive,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 13:1191-1198, 1998.
- Low, K. S., and Zhuang, H., “Robost Model Predictive Control and Observer for Direct Drive Applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 15:1018-1028, 2000.