This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling & Code Generation for Powertrain Control Monitoring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the introduction of new technologies ranging from developing new alternative energy vehicles to passive and active safety systems, the automakers are responding to the increased complexity of the control system by embracing Model Based Design (MBD) and Auto-code Generation (ACG) tools for control system design. This translates into lower development costs, higher quality and faster time-to-market. The Ford Motor Company production hybrid group launched a pilot project to study the feasibility of using MBD to speed up the development and testing of the next generation Torque Monitor software. This software uses a custom data storage format, called Double Store Variable (DSV) format, for all the critical signals. Each variable contains two fields, one for storing the actual data and the second for storing a transformed copy (e.g. one's complement) of the data. This allows the software to detect run-time corruption of the data in real-time.
This paper presents the results of the pilot project and some of the challenges encountered in using the current generation of commercially available MBD tools to meet the specific needs of the Torque Monitor software. Solutions to some of the problems and the lessons learned are also presented.
CitationBadreddine, B., Murphy, K., Nallapa, R., Syed, F. et al., "Modeling & Code Generation for Powertrain Control Monitoring," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0206, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0206.
- Syed, F. Nallapa, R. Grand, K. Ramaswamy, D. “Integrated Modeling Environment for Detailed Algorithm Design, Simulation and Code Generation,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0274 2007
- Syed, F. Nallapa, R. Jiang, F. Semenov, S. “Automated Migration of Legacy Functions and Algorithms to Model Based Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0747 2008
- Syed, F. Czubay, J. “Improving the Efficiency of Production Level Algorithm Development for an SUV HEV Powertrain,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3039 2004
- Wartnaby, C.E. Bennett, S.M. Ellims, M. Raju, R.R. et al. “Auto-Generated Production Code Development for Ford/Think Fuel Cell Vehicle Programme,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0863 2003
- Erkkinen, T. Breiner, S. “Automatic Code Generation - Technology Adoption Lessons Learned from Commercial Vehicle Case Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4249 2007