This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of a Wedge Clutch in an Automatic Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A wedge clutch with a wedge ramp transfers the tangential force to an axial force. It has unique features of self-reinforcement and small actuation force, and can be packaged into tight spaces. This wedge clutch can be developed to apply to an automatic transmission (AT) or a hybrid transmission.
This paper focuses on the simulation of one wedge clutch in AT during shifting. A mathematical formula is given to describe the self-reinforcement principle of the wedge. The dynamic model of a motor actuated wedge clutch during shifting is built to simulate and develop the control algorithm. The model is implemented in Matlab/Simulink, which includes a DC motor model, a dynamic model of the wedge mechanism and clutch pack, and a driveline model of AT which can simulate a gear shift process.
The key characteristics such as variation of normal pressure, response time and energy consumption are evaluated, and the results show a favorable comparison with the traditional hydraulic clutch.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Storage and Reaction Phases of LNT for Diesel Engine Exhaust Treatment|
|Technical Paper||SURFACE TEMPERATURES AND FRICTION IN LUBRICATED CLUTCHES|
|Technical Paper||Honda's 4 Speed All Clutch To Clutch Automatic Transmission|
- Jian Yao - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Li Chen - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Chengliang Yin - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Jie Shu - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Xin Zheng - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Chunhao Lee - General Motors LLC
- Yu Dong - General Motors LLC
- Chi-Kuan Kao - General Motors LLC
- Kumaraswamy Hebbale - General Motors LLC
- Farzad Samie - General Motors LLC
CitationYao, J., Chen, L., Yin, C., Shu, J. et al., "Modeling of a Wedge Clutch in an Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0186, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0186.
- Keller F et al. Electromagnetic Wheel Brake Device [P] US 6, 536, 561 2003 03 25
- Doericht M. Electromechanical Brake Actuation with Mechanical Wear Adjustment [P] GB 2315527A 1998 02 04
- Peter R et al. Actuating Un it For An Electromechanically Operable Disc Brake [P] US 6, 405, 836 B1 2002 07 18
- Hartmann H Gombert B Schautt M. eBrake(R) - The Mechatronic Wedge Brake SAE Paper, No. 2002-01-2582
- Lewis, C. Bollwahn, B General Motors Hydra-Matic & Ford New FWD Six-Speed Automatic Transmission Family SAE Paper, No. 2007-01-1095
- Benford H L Leising M B The Lever Analogy: A New Tool in Transmission Analysis SAE Paper, No. 810102