This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Frontal Collision Delta-V and Restraint Status on Injury Outcome
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The risk of sustaining injury in frontal collisions is correlated to collision severity as well as other factors such as restraint usage and airbag deployment. Eleven years (1997 to 2007) of National Automotive Sampling System (NASS) data from the Crashworthiness Data System (CDS) were analyzed to identify accidents involving passenger vehicles that have experienced an impact with a principal direction of force (PDOF) between 11:00 and 1:00, indicating a frontal collision. The Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) was used as an injury rating system for the involved vehicle occupants who were at least sixteen years old and were seated in the outboard seating positions of the front row. These data were further analyzed to determine injury risk based on factors such as delta-V, restraint system use, and airbag deployment. Each body region (head, face, spine, thorax, abdomen, upper extremity, and lower extremity) was considered separately. Delta-V is an indicator of crash severity in the absence of intrusion into the occupant compartment. For collisions below 60 kph, occupants utilizing airbags and seatbelts have a reduced risk of sustaining AIS 3+ injuries across the body regions examined. Of the occupants considered, 0.6% of the occupants experienced a frontal collision of a delta-V greater than 60 kph. For these occupants, determining the effects of restraint status on injury risk for different body regions is complicated by the small number of crashes that occur at this severity. The NASS-CDS data examined for this study support previous research and show that the use of seatbelts and airbags is correlated to a smaller risk of injury in frontal collisions.
CitationHeller, M., Imler, S., Corrigan, C., Zhao, K. et al., "The Effect of Frontal Collision Delta-V and Restraint Status on Injury Outcome," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0145, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0145.
- Roberts, V.L. and Compton, C.P., “The Relationship Between Delta V and Injury,” SAE Technical Paper 933111, 1993.
- Huelke, D.F., “The Effects of Belt Use and Driver Characteristics on Injury Risk in Frontal Airbag Crashes,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0155, 2001.
- Duma, S., Jernigan, M., and Herring, I., “Eye Injury and Orbital Fracture Patterns in Frontal Automobile Crashes,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0511, 2003.
- Elhagediab, A.M., and Rouhana, S.W., “Patterns of abdominal injury in frontal automotive crashes,” 16th ESV Conference Proceedings, 1998.
- McFeely, W.J., Rojrab, D.I., Davis, K.G., and Hegyi, D.F., “Otologic injuries caused by airbag deployment,” Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, 121(4), 1999.
- McDonald, S.T. and Memenga, S.E., “Vehicle Impact Location and its Relationship to Occupant Injuries,” SAE Technical Paper 860200, 1986.
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), The Abbreviated Injury Scale 1990 Revision. Des Plaines, IL, 1990.
- United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208, revised 10-1-08, 2008.
- Kleinberger, M., Sun, E., Eppinger, R., Kuppa, S., and Saul, R., “Development of improved injury criteria for the assessment of advanced automotive restraint systems,” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1998.
- Fan, W.R.S., “The Role of Skull Fractures in Short Duration Head Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 870321, 1987.
- Huelke, D.F., Smock, W.S., Fuller, P.M., and Nichols, G.R.II, “Basilar Skull Fractures Produced by Facial Impacts - Case Histories and a Review of the Literature,” SAE Technical Paper 881711, 1988.
- United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 201, revised 10-1-08, 2008a.
- Nahum, A.M, and Melvin, J.W., “Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention,” Springer-Verlag, New York, ISBN 0-387-98820-3: 277-302, 374-404, 2002.
- Mertz, H.J., Irwin, A.L., and Prasad, P., “Biomechanical and Scaling Bases for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-22-0009, 2003.
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F., Sances, A.Jr., Harris, G. et al., “Steering Wheel Induced Facial Trauma,” SAE Technical Paper 881712, 1988.
- Huelke, D.F., Schneider, L.W., Reed, M.P., and Gilbert, R.J., “Facial, Periorbital and Ocular Injuries Related to Steering-Wheel Airbag Deployments,” SAE Technical Paper 970490, 1997.
- Johnson, D.H., “A case report of cervical spine fracture with lap-shoulder belt restraints,” Journal of the American College of Emergency Physicians, Jan/Feb, 1974.
- Matsushita, T., Sato, T.B., Hirabayashi, K., Fujimura, S. et al., “X-ray Study of the Human Neck Motion due to Head Inertia Loading,” SAE Technical Paper 942208, 1994.
- Myers, B.S., and Winkelstein, B.A., “Epidemiology, classification, mechanism, and tolerance of human cervical spine injuries,” Crit Rev in Biomed Eng, 23(5&6), 1995.
- Huelke, D.F., Ostrom, M., Mackay, G.M., and Morris, A., “Thoracic and Lumbar Spine Injuries and the Lap-Shoulder Belt,” SAE Technical Paper 930640, 1993.
- Kent, R., Viano, D.C., and Crandall, J., “The field performance of frontal air bags: A review of the literature,” Traffic Injury Prevention, 6:1-23, 2005.
- Kent, R.W., Crandall, J.R., Bolton, J., Prasad, P. et al., “The Influence of Superficial Soft Tissues and Restraint Condition on Thoracic Skeletal Injury Prediction,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-22-0008, 2001.
- Kallieris, D., Rizzetti, A., Mattern, R., Morgan, R. et al., “On the Synergism of Driver Air Bag and the 3-Point Belt in Frontal Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 952700, 1995.
- Mertz, H.J., and Dalmotas, D.J., “Effects of Shoulder Belt Limit Forces on Adult Thoracic Protection in Frontal Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-22-0015, 2007.
- Lamielle, S., Vezin, P., Verriest, J.-P., Petit, P. et al., “3D Deformation and Dynamics of the Human Cadaver Abdomen under Seatbelt Loading,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-22-0011, 2008.
- Johnston, K.L., Klinich, K.D., Rhule, D.A., and Saul, R.A., “Assessing Arm Injury Potential from Deploying Air Bags,” SAE Technical Paper 970400, 1997.
- Kuppa, S.M., and Fessahaie, O., “An overview of knee-hip-thigh injuries in frontal crashes in the United States,” 18th ESV Conference Proceedings, 2003.