This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Results from a Model of a Tractor Trailer Vehicle Equipped with Roll Stability Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 2007, a software model of a Roll Stability Control (RSC) system was developed based on test data for a Volvo tractor at NHTSA's Vehicle Research and Test Center (VRTC). This model was designed to simulate the RSC performance of a commercially available Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system. The RSC model was developed in Simulink and integrated with the available braking model (TruckSim) for the truck. The Simulink models were run in parallel with the vehicle dynamics model of a truck in TruckSim. The complete vehicle model including the RSC system model is used to simulate the behavior of the actual truck and determine the capability of the RSC system in preventing rollovers under different conditions. Several simulations were performed to study the behavior of the model developed and to compare its performance with that of an actual test vehicle equipped with RSC.
Maneuvers that are highly difficult to execute on test tracks due to safety concerns and space limitations were simulated using the vehicle model. These maneuvers were simulated with the RSC system model switched OFF and ON alternatively to study the performance of the RSC system and its capability to prevent potential rollover events.
CitationChandrasekharan, S., Guenther, D., Heydinger, G., Salaani, M. et al., "Simulation Results from a Model of a Tractor Trailer Vehicle Equipped with Roll Stability Control," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0098, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0098.
Tire and Wheel Technology and Vehicle Dynamics and Handling, 2010
Number: SP-2261; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2261; Published: 2010-04-13
- National Center for Statistics and Analysis Fatality Analysis Reporting System http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx 2009
- Svenson, A.L. Grygier, P.A. Salaani, M.K. Heydinger, G.J. “Validation of Hardware in the Loop (HIL) Simulation for Use in Heavy Truck Stability Control System Effectiveness Research,” 21 st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Stuttgart, Germany 2009
- Svenson, A.L. et al. “Implementation of Stability Control for Tractor-Trailers Using the National Advanced Driving Simulator,” 21 st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Stuttgart, Germany 2009
- Barickman, F.S. et al. “NHTSA's Class 8 Truck-Tractor Stability Control Test Track Effectiveness,” 21 st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Stuttgart, Germany 2009
- Bendix ABS 6 Advanced with ESP Stability system Frequently Asked Questions to help you make an Intelligent Investment in Stability http://www.bendix.com/bendix/abs6/downloads/StabilityFAQ.pdf
- Shurtz, M. L. “Effects of ABS Controller Parameters on Heavy Truck Model Braking Performance” The Ohio State University 2006
- Shurtz, M.L. Guenther, D.A. Heydinger, G.J. Zagorski, S.B. “Refinements of a Heavy Truck ABS Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0839 2007
- Chandrasekharan, Santhosh “Development of Tractor - Semitrailer Roll Stability Control Model” The Ohio State University 2007
- Chandrasekharan, S. Guenther, D.A. Heydinger, G.J. Salaani, M.K. et al. “Development of a Roll Stability Control Model for a Tractor Trailer Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0451 2009
- Dunn, A. L. “Jackknife Stability of Articulated Tractor Semi-trailer Vehicles with High-Output Brakes and Jackknife Detection on Low Coefficient Surfaces” The Ohio State University 2003
- Dunn, A.L. Heydinger, G.J. Rizzoni, G. Guenther, D.A. “In-Depth Analysis of the Influence of High Torque Brakes on the Jackknife Stability of Heavy Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3398 2003
- Zaugg, B. C. “Development of Heavy Truck ABS and Limit Maneuvers Model” The Ohio State University 2004
- Zaugg, B.C. Heydinger, G.J. Guenther, D.A. Dunn, A.L. et al. “The Development of a Heavy Truck ABS Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0413 2005