This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chassis Torsional Stiffness: Analysis of the Influence on Vehicle Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is universally recognized that torsional stiffness is one of the most important properties of a vehicle chassis, [ 1 ]. There are several reasons for which high chassis stiffness is preferable. Lack of chassis torsional stiffness affects the lateral load transfer distribution, it allows displacements of the suspension attachment points that modify suspension kinematics and it can trigger unwanted dynamic effects like resonance phenomena or vibrations, [ 2 ].
The present paper introduces two analytical vehicle models that constitute an efficient tool for a correct evaluation of the main effects of chassis torsional stiffness on vehicle dynamics. In the first part an enhanced steady-state vehicle model is derived and employed for the analysis of the vehicle handling. The model takes account of chassis torsional stiffness for the evaluation of the lateral load transfer and, by means of the concept of the axle cornering stiffness, includes the effects of tire non-linear behavior.
In the second part of the paper a linear four-degrees-of-freedom model is presented. The frequency response of the vehicle subjected to steering inputs is analyzed. The influence of chassis torsional stiffness on the modes of motion and their dependency on the vehicle parameters is investigated.
Simulations of the behavior of two real vehicles are introduced and a sensitivity analysis is presented.
CitationSampo', E., Sorniotti, A., and Crocombe, A., "Chassis Torsional Stiffness: Analysis of the Influence on Vehicle Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0094, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0094.
Tire and Wheel Technology and Vehicle Dynamics and Handling, 2010
Number: SP-2261; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2261; Published: 2010-04-13
- Milliken, D.L. Kasprzak, E.M. Metz, L.D. Milliken, W.F. “Race Car Vehicle Dynamics,” SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-1127-2 1995
- Genta, G. Morello, L. The Automotive Chassis vol. 2: System Design Springer New York 978-1-4020-8673-1 2009
- Costin, M. Phipps, D. Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design Batsford 1974 978-0713404586
- Deakin, A. Crolla, D. Ramirez, J.P. Hanley, R. “The Effect of Chassis Stiffness on Race Car Handling Balance,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3554 2000
- Dixon, J. “Tires, Suspension and Handling, Second Edition,” SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-1-56091-831-8 1996
- Thompson, L.L. Raju, S. Law, E.H. “Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness,” SAE Technical Paper 983053 1998
- Riley, W.B. George, A.R. “Design, Analysis and Testing of a Formula SAE Car Chassis,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3300 2002
- Thompson, L.L. Soni, P.H. Raju, S. Law, E.H. “The Effects of Chassis Flexibility on Roll Stiffness of a Winston Cup Race Car,” SAE Technical Paper 983051 1998
- Hasegawa, S. Kusahara, Y. Watanabe, Y. “Influence of Vehicle Body Torsional Stiffness on Vehicle Roll Characteristics of Medium-Duty Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 902267 1990
- Miki, S. “Method for Evaluating Stability and Handling of a Truck Considering Body Torsional Rigidity,” SAE Technical Paper 881870 1988
- Tong, Y.Y. “Vehicle Dynamic Simulations Based on Flexible and Rigid Multibody Models,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0114 2000
- Ambrósio, J.A.C. Gonçalves, J.P.C. “Complex Flexible Systems with Application to Vehicle Dynamics” Multibody System Dynamics 6 2 163 182 2001
- Clover, C.L. Bernard, J.E. “The Influence of Lateral Load Transfer Distribution on Directional Response,” SAE Technical Paper 930763 1993
- Chu, T.W. Jones, R.P. “Analysis of Nonlinear Handling Characteristics of Automotive Vehicles with Focus on Lateral Load Transfer” Vehicle System Dynamics 46 1 17 31
- Blundell, M. Harty, D. The Multibody Systems Approach to Vehicle Dynamics Butterworth-Heinemann 2004 0750651121
- Segel, L. “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control” Proceedings of IMechE Automotive Division 1956 310 330 1956