Braking on Dry Pavement and Gravel With and Without ABS
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
It has been observed that locked-wheel skidding friction values are essentially vehicle- and tire-independent. It has been tacitly assumed by most crash reconstructionists that any ABS-equipped vehicle would also decelerate at nearly the same rate as any other ABS-equipped vehicle. This paper will review literature with relevant straight-line test results on paved roadways and gravel, and present additional results from recent tests generated with four modern vehicles built by three manufacturers.
Results from the recent testing showed that locked-wheel skidding values on a concrete roadway were similar for all four vehicles, but the ABS-improvement on the same roadway varied. On gravel, ABS was always less effective than locked-wheel skidding. ABS and locked-wheel results on gravel had less car-to-car variation than tests conducted on concrete.
CitationBartlett, W. and Wright, W., "Braking on Dry Pavement and Gravel With and Without ABS," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0066, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0066.
- Goudie, D.W., Bowler, J.J., Brown, C.A., Heinrichs, B.E. et al., “Tire Friction During Locked Wheel Braking,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1314, 2000.
- Wallingford, J.G., Greenlees, B., and Christoffersen, S., “Tire-Roadway Friction Coefficients on Concrete and Asphalt Surfaces Applicable for Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 900103, 1990.
- Dodd, R., “Report of Skid-test Results,” presented at World Reconstruction Expo, Texas USA, 2000.
- Oppenheimer, P., “Comparing Stopping Capability of Cars with and without Antilock Braking Systems (ABS),” SAE Technical Paper 880324, 1988.
- Metz, L.D. and Ruhl, R.L., “Skidmark Signatures of ABS-Equipped Passenger Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 900106, 1990.
- Reust, T.J., “Deceleration Rates of Modern Passenger Vehicles During Straight Line Braking and Yaw Events,” Collision: 1(2), pages 20-24, 2006.
- Squire, R., Cooper N., “Vehicle Braking Comparison - ABS v. Conventional System,” Accident Reconstruction Journal: 5(4), 1993.
- Preston, G.D., “Skid Tests of ABS and non-ABS Vehicles on Various Surfaces,” Accident Reconstruction Journal: 5(4), July/August 1993.
- Lambourn, R.F., “Braking and Cornering Effects with and without Anti-Lock Brakes,” SAE Technical Paper 940723, 1994.
- Bartlett, W., Baxter, S., Livesay, E., Schmidt, B. et al., “Comparison of Drag-Sled and Skidding-Vehicle Drag Factors on Dry Roadways,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1398, 2006.
- Marshek, K.M., Cuderman, J.F.III, and Johnson, M.J. “Performance of Anti-Lock Braking System Equipped Passenger Vehicles - Part I: Braking as a Function of Brake Pedal Application Force,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0304, 2002.
- Wright, W., “Evidence of ABS Scuffmarks on the Roadway,” Accident Reconstruction Journal: 7(4), pages 22-23, July/Aug 1995.
- Brown, J.C., Grimm, M., and Hansen, D., “Relationship Between Anti-Lock Tire Mark Length and Speed Change,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0723, 2007.
- Brandt W., “ABS Increases Stopping Distance in Braking/Evasive Maneuvers,” Accident Reconstruction Journal: 6(2), page 41, March/April 1994.
- Vericom Computers, Rogers, MN, http://vericomcomputers.com/
- Arehart C., Radlinski R., Hiltner E., “Light Vehicle ABS Performance Evaluation,” Accident Reconstruction Journal: 6(1), pages 52-56, Jan/Feb 1994.
- Reust, T.J., “Commercial Vehicle Airbrake Testing,” white paper accessed 11/03/08 at http://www.accidentscience.com/SATAI%20commercial%20vehicle%20air%20brake%20tests.pdf
- Reust, T.J., “Commercial Vehicle Airbrake Testing,” white paper accessed 11/03/08 at http://www.accidentscience.com/UC%20Riverside%20brake%20tests-w-graphs-pictures.pdf
- Macnabb, M.J., Ribarits S., Mortimer N., Chafe B., “ABS Performance on Gravel Roads,” Proceedings 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), Ontario, Canada, Paper 98-S2-W-36, pages 628-635, May 31- June 4, 1998.
- Forkenbrock, G., Flick, M., Garrott W.R., “A Test Track Performance Evaluation of Current Production Light Vehicle Antilock Brake Systems,” 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Ontario, Canada, May 31- June 4, 1998.
- Dettinger, J., Burckhardt M., Grandel J., “Emergency Braking from High Initial Speeds With and Without ABS (Notbremsungen aus hohen Ausgangsgeschwindigkeiten mit und ohne ABS),” Verhersunfall und Fahrzeugtechnik: 6(7), June 1991.
- Bartlett, W., Wright W., “Summary of 56 Recent CSY Tests Including ABS and ESC on Pavement, Gravel, and Grass,” Accident Reconstruction Journal 18(3), page 29, May/June 2008.
- Brewer, E.J., Brisson P.A., “ABS Brake Testing on Gravel Surfaces Level and With Positive and Negative Grade,” 4th AIRIL Conference Proceedings, pages 205-212, 2001.
- Fischer, G., “Data from NYSTARS' CCS Tests,” NYSTARS News, Issue 29, October 2009.
- Bartlett, W., “Friction Testing Results,” NAPARS Annual Conference, Maryland, October 2009.
- Northrup, J., “Effects of Sample Rates on Accelerometer Based Skid Testing and Unit Comparison,” Collision 2(2), pages 66-69, 2007.
- Wright, W., “Critical Speed Testing,” PA State Police Annual Crash Reconstruction Seminar, 2009.
- Bartlett W., Wright W., previously unpublished testing, 2009.