This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review and Comparison of Published Rollover Test Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rollover research data is a valuable resource in the field of accident reconstruction and automotive safety. This data can provide the accident reconstructionist with information regarding number of rolls versus roll distance and vehicle average deceleration during the rollover event. One source of rollover research data readily available to the general public is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Crash Test Database which includes dolly rollover test data. This data includes testing performed using the FMVSS 208 dolly fixture and the NHTSA Rollover Test Device (RTD) used from 1985 to 1995.
The purpose of this paper is to provide a more thorough analysis of the RTD rollover tests performed for NHTSA which includes a history of the RTD test series, detailed review and analysis of the available data and videos to provide a better understanding of the actual vehicle test dynamics. The analyzed RTD test results are then compared regarding number of rolls, roll distance and vehicle average deceleration during each of the rollover tests with other publicly available rollover tests performed that use other mechanisms of initiation of rollover to determine the usefulness of this data in accident reconstruction.
It was found from this review and analysis that with regard to accident reconstruction, the use of the NHTSA RTD rollover tests with respect to vehicle average deceleration, number of rolls and roll distance should be done so with great care and consideration .
|Journal Article||Measurement and Modeling of Rollover Airborne Trajectories|
|Technical Paper||An Integrated Model of Rolling and Sliding in Rollover Crashes|
|Technical Paper||Rollover Testing of Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) on an Actual Highway|
CitationYaek, J., Curry, B., and Goertz, A., "Review and Comparison of Published Rollover Test Results," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0057, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0057.
Accident Reconstruction, 2010
Number: SP-2267; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2267; Published: 2010-04-13
- Hight, P.V. Siegel, A.W. Nahum, A.M. “Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 720966 1972
- Wilson, R.A. Gannon, R.R. “Rollover Testing” SAE Technical Paper 720495 1972
- Cooperrider, N.K. Thomas, T.M. Hammoud, S.A. “Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior” SAE Technical Paper 900366 1990
- Hughes, R.J. Lewis, L.K. Hare, B.M. Ishikawa, Y. et al. “A Dynamic Test Procedure for Evaluation of Tripped Rollover Crashes,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0693 2002
- Larson, R.E. Smith, J.W. Werner, S.M. Fowler, G.F. “Vehicle Rollover Testing, Methodologies in Recreating Collisions” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1641 2000
- Wilson, Lawrence A. Gilbert, Michael Godrick, Daniel A. “Reconstruction and Analysis of Steering-Induced, On-Road, Untripped SUV Rollover Tests (Parts 1)” Collision: The International Compendium for Crash Research 2 1 88 113 2007
- Wilson, Lawrence A. Gilbert, Michael Godrick, Daniel A. “Reconstruction and Analysis of Steering-Induced, On-Road, Untripped SUV Rollover Tests (Parts 2)” Collision: The International Compendium for Crash Research 2 2 124 149 2007
- SAE International Vehicle Recommended Practice “Dolly Rollover Recommended Test Procedure,” SAE Standard J2114 April 1993
- Segal, David J. McGrath, Martin T. “Analytical Study for Evaluation of Rollover Test Devices” 1980
- Carter, Louise A. Pellettiere, Joseph A. “Summary of Rollover Crash Tests” 2002
- Orlowski, K. F. Moffatt, E. A. Bundorf, R. T. Holcomb, M. P. “Reconstruction of Rollover Collisions” SAE 890857 1989
- Orlowski, K.F. Bundorf, R.T. Moffatt, E.A. “Rollover Crash Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics,” SAE Technical Paper 851734 1985
- Bahling, G.S. Bundorf, R.T. Kaspzyk, G.S. Moffatt, E.A. et al. “Rollover and Drop Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics Using Belted Dummies,” SAE Technical Paper 902314 1990
- Chen, H.F. Guenther, D.A. “Modeling of Rollover Sequences,” SAE Technical Paper 931976 1993
- Luepke, P.A. Carter, J.W. Henry, K.C. Germane, G.J. et al “Rollover Crash Tests on Dirt: An Examination of Rollover Dynamics” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 18 30 2008
- Carter, J.W. Luepke, P. Henry, K.C. Germane, G.J. et al. “Rollover Dynamics: An Exploration of the Fundamentals,” 2008
- Henry, K.C. Germane, G.J. Luepke, P. Carter, J. “Measurement and Modeling of Rollover Airborne Trajectories” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0109 2009
- Young, R. Scheuerma, H. “Test for Vehicle Rollover Procedure” 1971
- Anderson, J.D. Gee, R.S. Germane, G.J. Henry, K.C. et al. “Analysis of a Real-World High-Speed Rollover Crash from a Video Record and Physical Evidence,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1486 2008
- Altman, S. Santistevan, D. Hitchings, C. Wallingford, J.G. et al. “A Comparison of Rollover Characteristics for Passenger Cars, Light Duty Trucks and Sport Utility Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0942 2002
- Rose, N.A. Beauchamp, G. “Development of a Variable Deceleration Rate Approach to Rollover Crash Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0093 2009
- Segal, David J. Kamholtz, Leonard R. “Development of a General Purpose Rollover Test Device” DOT Report No. HS-806 550
- Stultz, John C. Shultis, J.F. Elliot, T.H. “Modifications to the NHTSA General Purpose Rollover Test Device” The Transportation Research Center Ohio January 1989