This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tractor Semitrailer Left Turns and Lane Changes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Data regarding the characteristics of left turns and lane changes performed by articulated tractor semitrailer combination vehicles in urban environments are presented. Previous studies have quantified acceleration rates for tractor semitrailers travelling straight, and for automobiles making left turns, but there is a gap in the literature regarding heavy vehicle acceleration during left turns. Likewise there is a lack of published data regarding the duration of lane changes made by these vehicles at highway speeds.
Left turns were studied at a four-way stop-sign controlled intersection with a high volume of heavy vehicle traffic. Markings were made on the roadway corresponding to three left turn paths of varying radii. Intervals leading up to and along the marked paths were measured and painted on the roadway. The motion of each tractor semitrailer that made the subject left turn was recorded by video. Video analysis allowed determination of distance, speed and acceleration associated with the vehicle paths. The distance from the limit line where the tractor semitrailers stopped prior to making the turn is also reported. Statistical analyses of vehicle position and velocity with time data suggest that the acceleration rate of the left-turning tractor semitrailers has three phases: an initial period of higher acceleration, followed by two periods of successively lower acceleration as the tractor completes the turn. Typical velocity time histories for wide, medium and tight turns is presented in a format of use to the reconstructionist.
Lane changes were studied on urban multi-lane freeways with speed limit of 55 mph for trucks. Video of the tractor semitrailers making lane changes was acquired from a car travelling in the same lane as the vehicle being studied. Timing of phases of the lane change maneuver and lateral (cross-lane) speed during the maneuver were determined by analysis of the video.
CitationMerala, R. and White, K., "Tractor Semitrailer Left Turns and Lane Changes," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0049, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0049.
- Center for National Truck Statistics “Truck and Bus Crash Factbook 1995,” Office of Motor Carriers, FHA, US DOT, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Ann Arbor, MI September 1997
- Jarossi, L. Matteson A. Woodrooffe, J. “Trucks Involved in Fatal Accidents Factbook 2006,” Center for National Truck Statistics, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Ann Arbor, MI August 2008
- French, A. “Chapter 6: Highway Transportation, Part B: Vehicle Operating Characteristics,” Transportation and Traffic Engineering Handbook Second Homburger Wolfgang S. Prentice-Hall NJ 0-13-930362-6 164 166 1982
- Baker, K. “Reconstruction of Heavy Truck Accidents, Topic 878,” Traffic Accident Reconstruction, Volume II of Traffic Accident Investigation Manual Fricke Lynn B. Northwestern University Traffic Institute Evanston, IL 0-912642-07-6 78.14 78.15 1990
- Proctor, C.L. Grimes, W.D. Fourier, D.J., Jr. Rigol, J., Jr. et al. “Analysis of Acceleration in Passenger Cars and Heavy Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 950136 1995
- Grimes, W.D. Dickerson, C.P. “Low Speed Acceleration of the Kenworth T600 Tractor Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 980366 1998
- Grimes, W.D. Dickerson, C.P. “Low Speed Acceleration of the Freightliner FLD-120 Tractor Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0092 1999
- Muttart, J. W. “Vehicle Acceleration: Observations and Test Results,” Accident Investigation Quarterly 10 54 Spring 1996
- Classen, S. Scechtman, O. Stephens, B. et al. “The Impact of Roadway Intersection Design on Driving Performance of Young and Senior Adults,” Traffic Injury Prevention 8 1 69 77 March 2007
- Happer, A.J. Peck, M.D. Hughes, M.C. “Analysis of Left-Turning Vehicles at a 4-way Medium-Sized Signalized Intersection,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 359 370 2009
- Bogard, S. “Analysis of Data on Speed-Change and Lane-Change Behavior in Manual and ACC Driving,” University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Ann Arbor, MI July 1999
- Lee, S. E. Olsen, E. C. B. Wierwille, W. W. “A Comprehensive Examination of Naturalistic Lane-Changes,” Virginia Tech Transportation Institute National Highway Transportation Safety Administration Report Washington, DC March 2004
- Fancher, P.S. Ervin, R.D. Winkler, C. B. Gillespie, T. D. “A Factbook of the Mechanical Properties of the Components for Single-Unit and Articulated Heavy Trucks,” US Department of Transportation Report Springfield, VA December 1986