This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NanoBor - Reinforced Chromium Top Ring Coating for Diesel Engines Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For years the chromium ceramic coating has proved to have good resistance when applied for Diesel engines subjected to severe operational conditions. However, given the constant increase of engine demands and the concern of low gas emissions, higher wear resistance and durability have been required.
As a consequence, MAHLE has developed a new chromium-based coating, which balances the cost competitiveness of chromium-based coatings with enhanced performance.
The new coating, named NanoBor Chromium, consists of reinforced chromium coating with ultrafine cBN particles (cBN = cubic boron nitride) embedded inside micro-fissures created by a controlled multi-stage electrochemical process.
The tests in MDD engines (MDD=Medium-duty diesel) and HDD engines (HDD= Heavy-duty diesel) have demonstrated the excellent performance of NanoBor Cr as new alternative for heavily demanded application.
Besides the performance results of rig tests for wear resistance, this paper also presents the performance evaluation in durability engine tests in two different Diesel engines application and in an abusive scuffing engine test.
CitationSoares, E., Ferrarese, A., Banfield, R., and Maier, D., "NanoBor - Reinforced Chromium Top Ring Coating for Diesel Engines Application," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0179, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0179.
- Warkentin, T. Banfield, R. Nocera, E. “New Ring Pack for HDD Engines” SAE 2007-01-2846 2007
- Ferrarese, A. Banfield, R Tomanik, E “High Value PVD Top Ring for High Speed Diesel Engines” SAE 2008-01-0793 2008
- Maier, O Binder, I “Burning Mark Test for Piston Rings with High Speed Diesel and Gasoline Engines An Engine Test Procedure to Rate the Scuff Resistance” SAE 2008-36-0072 2008
- Palumbo, G “Nanotechnology Opportunities for Electroplating Industries” SUR/FIN Milwaukee. USA 2003
- Herbst, C. Münchow, F. “Modern Piston Ring Coatings and Liner Technology for EGR Applications” SAE 2002-01-0489 2002