This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New developments of the 3 rd generation SFS-Flex system to meet PL5/6 emission requirements.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a short introduction on the evolution from the first generation of software based flex fuel sensor systems over the second system generation including new gasoline/ethanol optimized fuel injectors to the 3rd generation, which combines all available optimized mechanical components.
It demonstrates that to meet the new emission regulations and On Board Diagnostic requirements a new highly flexible Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is needed. A detailed description of the new powerful, layered-structure ECU-family is given.
The paper concludes with some illustrative experimental results obtained by combining the new ECU-family with engine-layout optimized mechanical components.
CitationPontoppidan, M. and Montanari, G., "New developments of the 3rd generation SFS-Flex system to meet PL5/6 emission requirements.," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0159, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0159.
- Amsden, A. A. O'Rourke, P. J Butler C. D. “KIVA II A Computer Program for Chemical Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Labs
- Amsden, A. A. O'Rourke, P. J Butler C. D. “KIVA III: A KIVA Program with Block Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries” Los Alamos National Labs
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts” SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout.” SAE Paper 980494
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced use of 3-D CFD and Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU-Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines.” ICE 99 - Proceedings
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced Mixture Preparation Approach for Lean Stratified SI-Combustion by a Combined Use of GDI and Electronically Controlled Valve-Timing.” SAE Paper 2000-01-053
- Pontoppidan M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualisation Techniques to decrease the Optimisation Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimisation.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Pontoppidan M. Ausiello F. Bella G. Demaio A “ Study of the Impact of Variations in the Diesel-Nozzle Geometry Parameters on the Layout of Multiple Injection Strategy.” SAE paper 2002-01-0217
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. ”Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines - Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?” SAE paper 2003-01-0540
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. ”Optimization by CFD simulation of Spray formation Parameters to adapt Direct Injection high-pressure Fuel injectors to high-speed SI-engines.” SAE paper 2004-01-0539
- Pontoppidan M. Bonfiglioli S. Montanari G Damasceno F. “ Detailed Study of Ethanol In-cylinder Combustion Behavior by means of a Numerical Virtual Engine Model Approach.” SAE-Brasil paper 2005 - Resumo 034
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G. Damasceno, F. Bucci A. Ewald, P. “Description of preliminary Study for Technology Transfer of an Ethanol Mixture Preparation System from Automotive Application to a 4-Cylinder 5.9 liter Aircraft Engine.” SAE-Brasil 20006-01-2878
- Pontoppidan M. Bonfiglioli S. Montanari G. “Presentation of the new third Generation “Green” injector Family, PICO-ECOlogical, developed for further Improvement of Flex-fuel Engine Performance.” SAE-Brazil paper 2007-01-2749
- Pontoppidan M. Damasceno F. “The integral Flex-Vehicle Mixture Control of Alcohol-based Bio-fuels - A new Challenge for Fuel-Atomizer Optimization.” SAE paper 2008-01-0437
- Pontoppidan M. Bonfiglioli S. Montanari G. ” Analysis of the Capabilities of the new innovative Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device ECS.” SAE Brazil paper 2008-36-008
- Pontoppidan M. Montanari G. Damesceno F. “ Analysis of the Physical Boundary Conditions for the Layout of an optimized Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device” SAE Paper 2009-01-0618