This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LONGITUDINAL EFFORT IN CRANKSHAFT
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the last two decades, torsional and axial vibrations of the engine crankshaft have become more severe than before, because of the increase of the engine speed and mean effective gas pressure, and reduction of engine size. Under these new conditions, more severe forces and torques are applied to the crankshaft. That forces and torques can increase the noise radiation, wear and damage of the components connected to crankshaft. This paper presents a multi-degree-of-freedom model of crankshaft under axial and torsional excitations. The motion equation of the system is solved numerically with Newmark beta Method in Matlab environment. The interaction with axial bearing is also considered, the Reynods Equation that govern the generation of hydrodynamic pressure in axial bearing is solved with Finite Difference Method and the boundary condition of Sommerfeld (pressure equal to zero at the boundary). A simulation of 4-cylinder crankshaft is presented. Results are shown in terms of crankshaft's displacement and pressure in axial bearing.
CitationIdehara, A., Junior, A., and de Souza Rodrigues, A., "LONGITUDINAL EFFORT IN CRANKSHAFT," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0155, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0155.
- Van Dort, D. Visser, N. J. “Crankshaft coupled free torsional-axial vibration of ship's propulsion system” I.S.P. Vol 10 107 1963
- Ying, Q.G. Zhou, M.R. Li, B.Z. Xu, J.F. Chen, M.X. “The coupled torsional vibrations of the morden long-stroke marine engine crankshaft” Marine Engineering Vol 1 40 47 1995
- Li, B.Z. Ying, Q.G. Zhou M.R. Xu, J.F. Chen, M.X. “The coupled torsional vibrations of the morden long-stroke marine engine crankshaft: Accident analysis of coupled vibration” Marine Engineering Vol 6 37 41
- Bukovnik, S. Dorr, N. Caika, V. Bartz, W.J. Loibnegger, B. “Analysis of diverse simulation models for combustion engine journal bearings and the influence of oil condition” Tribology International Vol 39 820 826 2005
- Galvão, M.M. Schwart, V.A. “Análise do Comportamento Operacional de Mancais Axiais Hidrodinâmicos de Sapatas Setoriais Pivotadas” Máster degree thesis Itajubá 2006
- Offner, G. Lechner, M. Mahmoud, K. Prlebsch, H.H. “Surface contact analysis in axial thrust bearings based on different numerical interpolation approaches” Proc. IMechE, Journal of Multi-body Dynamics Vol 221
- Shu, G.Q. Liang, X.Y. Lu, X.C. “Axial vibration of high-speed automotive engine crankshaft” International Journal of Vehicle Design Vol 45 4 542 2007
- Choi, K.S. Pan, J. “Simulations of stress distributions in crankshaft sections under fillet rolling and bending fatigue tests” International Jounal of Fatigue Vol 31 544 557 2009