This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
OPTIMIZATION PROCESS AND ROBUSTNESS CALCULATION FOR ENGINE COMPONENTS – RING PACK STUDY CASE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The first proposal for an engine component usually is based on the supplier technical expertise, previous cases and/or selection manuals. Occasionally, this first proposal is also validated by numerical simulation; however, the main purpose is to satisfy a desirable target, not to assure an optimized nor robust proposal.
The objective of the developed work is to present a proposed sequence for selection of one or as many as possible optimized and feasible proposals as well as the expected robustness in terms of performance for each proposal. This selection sequence is based massively on numerical simulation and on the advantageous expertise about the product.
The example presented in this work is a ring dynamics simulation using an optimization method to select solutions that simultaneously reduce the blow-by and lube oil consumption (LOC). It is also presented the robustness calculation of the selected proposals. The available engine performance data was used to calibrate the numerical simulation model.
A less impact and a multiple components changes solutions were proposed. The calculated blow-by reductions were 5% and 28% respectively. The tendency of LOC were consistently decreased for the first solution and highly decreased for the second solution.
This study shows that it is possible to improve the first proposal through optimization / simulation and hence reduce the engine development time and cost by reducing the number of bench tests.
|Technical Paper||Application of Optimization Techniques in the Design of Engine Components|
|Technical Paper||Applications of Friction Algorithms for Rapid Engine Concept Assessments|
|Journal Article||Modelling and Simulation of Brake Booster Vacuum Pumps|
CitationPerreira, M. and Zottin, W., "OPTIMIZATION PROCESS AND ROBUSTNESS CALCULATION FOR ENGINE COMPONENTS – RING PACK STUDY CASE," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0069, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0069.
- Zottin, W. Cuco, A. P. C. dos Reis, M. V. F. da Silva, R. F. A. F. “Multi-Objective and Robust Design Optimization Techniques applied to Engine Component Design” SAE paper 2008-01-0219 2008
- Zottin, W. “Simulação da Dinâmica de Anéis de um Pistão Utilizado em Motores de Combustão Interna” Mechanical Engineering MSc Thesys USP/POLI São Paulo 1993
- Tian, T. “Modeling the Performance of the Piston Ring-Pack in Internal Combustion Engines” Mechanical Engineering PhD Thesys MIT Boston 1997
- Tian, T. Noordzij L. B. Wong, V. W. Heywood J. B. “Modeling Piston Ring Dynamics, Blow-by and Ring Twist Effects” ASME 1996, ICE-Vol.27-2 Fall Technical Conference 1996
- Fonseca C. M. Fleming P. J. “Genetic Algorithms for Multiobjective Optimization: Formulation, Discussion and Generalization”, in” Genetic Algorithms: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference Forrest, S. San Mateo 1993
- Furuhama, S. “A Dynamic Theory of Piston Ring Lubrication” Bull. JSME Vol. 2 n.7 1952
- Furuhama, S. Hiruma, M. “Piston Ring Motion and its Influence on Engine Tribology” SAE paper 790860 1979
- Furuhama, S. Tada, T. “On the Flow of Gas through the Piston Rings”, (i) First Report — “The Discharge Coefficient and Temperature of Leakage Gas” Bull. JSME Vol.4 684 1961
- Guwaldi, S.D “Analysis of Lubrication, Friction, Blow-by and Oil Consumption in a Piston Ring Pack” ASME-ICE 1997 Spring Conference
- Hoffman, R. M Sudjianto, A. Du X. Stout J. “Robust Design and Optimization Using Piston Secondary Motion Analysis” SAE paper 2003-01-0148 2003
- Kuo, W. T. Sellnau, M. C. Theobald, M. A. Jones, J. D. “Calculation of Flow in the Piston Cylinder Ring Crevices of a Homogeneous Charge Engine and Comparison with Experiment” SAE paper 890838 1989
- Liu, E. A. Tao, W. Yuan Y. Hill, J. D. Zou, Q Barber, G. C. “Robust Optimization of Engine Lubrication System” SAE paper 2007-01-1568 2007
- Liu, L. Tian, T. “A Three Dimensional Model for Piston Ring-Pack Dynamics and Blow-By Gas Flow” ASME ICEF2004, paper ICEF2004-968 2004
- Zottin, W. Clemente. M. “Predictive Analysis of Lube Oil Consumption for a Diesel Engine” SAE paper 950520 1995
- Zottin, W. Clemente, M. “Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Lube Oil Consumption Simulation and Correlation with Engine Tests” ASME Fall ICE Meeting September 2000
- Keribar R. Dursunkaya Z. Flemming, M. F. “An Integrated Model of Ring Pack Performance” ASME Vol. 113 382 389 1991