This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Biomass Gas HCCI Engine
Published November 03, 2009 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Autoignition and combustion characteristics of biomass gas were investigated experimentally. A mock biomass gas consisting of H2, CH4, CO, N2 and CO2 was used as a wood pyrolysis gas. Experiments were carried out with a modified gas engine varying equivalence ratio and fuel composition. High hydrogen content increases the combustion speed, but it hardly affects ignition timing. Carbon monoxide in fuels does not affect combustion speed largely. The autoignition temperature of biomass gas is about 1000K, which is the same as those of hydrocarbon fuels. The engine also realizes 42% of the indicated thermal efficiency and a maximum IMEP of 0.3MPa.
CitationYAMASAKI, Y., KANNO, M., TAURA, Y., and KANEKO, S., "Study on Biomass Gas HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0066, 2009.
- YAMASAKI Yudai TOMATSU Go NAGATA Yuki KANEKO Shigehiko “Combustion Characteristics of Low-Calorific-Value Gaseous Fuels in Small Gas Engine” Journal of Environment and Engineering 4 2009 1 188 197
- NAKAGAWA T. NAMIOKA T. YOSHIKAWA K. “Performance Comparison of Various Types of Engines for Gasification and Power Generation from Biomass Resources” Proc. of the 12th National Symposium on Power and Energy System 12th 2007 311 314
- YAMASAKI Yudai TOMATSU Go NAGATA Yuki KANEKO Shigehiko “Operation Control of a Biomass Gas Engine with Real-Time Analysis of In-Cylinder Gas Pressure” Journal of System Design and Dynamics 2 2008 6 1284 1295
- YAMASAKI Y. “Biomass Gasification Power Generation Technology in Europe” Journal of the Institute of Energy 84 12 2005 1019 1025
- HANAOKA T. INOUE S. UNO S. OGI T. MINOWA T. “Effect of woody biomass components on air-steam gasification” Biomass & Bioenergy 28 1 2005 69 76
- KUDO S. MATSUMURA S. KONO M HUKUDA T. “Gas Engine Co-generation by using Pyrolysis Gas Fuel” Clean Energy 12 9 2003 32 36
- YAMASAKI Y. NAGATA Y. NISHIZAWA Y KANEKO S. “Study on a Small Size Gas Engine with Wood Biomass Gas” Proc. Of 45th Symposium (Japanese) on Combustion 2007 180 181
- YAMASAKI Y. IIDA N. “Numerical Analysis of Auto Ignition and Combustion of n-Butane and Air Mixture in the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine by Using Elementary Reactions” SAEpaper 2003-01-1090
- IIDA N. IGARASHI T. “Auto-Ignition and Combustion of DME and n-Butane/Air Mixtures in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” Fuel and Lubricants, SAE Paper 2000-01-1832 2000 173 181