This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Biodiesel and its Blends on a CRDe SUV Engine/Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 13, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
The present study is to evaluate the performance & emission characteristics of biodiesel on a 2.6L turbocharged common rail direct injection engine powered on Sports utility vehicle (SUV). The effect of neat biodiesel and its blends with diesel at various ratios was evaluated. The study was extended to analyze combustion characteristics using pressure time history with various blends. This paper elaborate the effect of biodiesel on both engine & vehicle level. Impact on fuel economy, noise level and drivability was also discussed.
Experimental results revealed significant reduction of power throughout the operating range while running with biodiesel. So the engine injection strategy was optimized specially for biodiesel to obtain the desired performance & emission. Engine performance results were discussed based on the analysis of heat release, which made it possible to give more precise information about the combustion process.
Experiment data reveal that the significant reduction of HC, CO and smoke was observed. However loss in power when using biodiesel has been regained by increasing the fueling & optimizing the combustion parameters results slight increase in emission level. While the fuel economy and noise level of the engine doesn't showed much difference and it's under acceptable level.
Based on this study, it is observed that performance and emission of the vehicle while using blends and neat usage of biodiesel matches with diesel, when the engine is remapped. A practical system, which could be adopted for optimum performance with biodiesel, is possible with this development.
CitationMANICKAM, M., KADAMBAMATTAM, M., and ABRAHAM, M., "Experimental Investigation on Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Biodiesel and its Blends on a CRDe SUV Engine/Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2009-28-0034, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-28-0034.
- Sunderesan M. etal “Analysis of Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of Blends of Methyl Esters of Oil (MEJ) in DI Diesel Engine” SAE 2007-32-0066
- Manieniyan V. etal “Investigation of Diesel Engine Using Bio-Diesel for various Injection Timing and Injection Pressure” SAE 2008-01-1577
- Suryawanshi J.G. etal “Effect of EGR on Performance and Emissions in a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Oil Methyl Ester” SAE 2005-26-028
- Agarwal AK “Vegetable oil versus Diesel fuel: Development and Use of Biodiesel in a Compression Ignition Engine” TERI inform Dig Energy 8 3 1998 191 204
- Bona S. etal. “Oil crops for Biodiesel Production” Renewable Energy 16 1999 1053 1056
- Sendzikiene E. etal “Influence of Fuel Oxygen content on Diesel Engine Exhaust Emissions” Renewable energy 31 2006 2505 2512
- Almeida S.C.A.D etal “Performance of a diesel generator fuelled with palm oil” Fuel 81 2002 2097 2102
- kumar Harish etal “Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Vegetable oil Blends in an Indirect Ignition Transportation Engine” SAE 2008-28-0034
- Sharma R.P. etal “Evaluation of Performance, Emission and Combustion Parameters of a CI Engine Fuelled with Bio-Diesel from Rubber Seed Oil and Its Blends” SAE 2005-26-353
- Kawano Daisuke etal “Application of Biodiesel fuel to Modern Diesel Engine” SAE 2006-01-0233
- Reitz R.D. etal “Effects of Fuel Physical Properties on Diesel Engine Combustion using Diesel and Biodiesel Fuels SAE 2008-01-1379
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamental” McGraw-Hill Book Company New York 1998