This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Thermoplastic Composites for Automotive Semi-Structural Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 21, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2009
Composite materials have found applications in the aviation industry because of an appropriate combination of properties - high stiffness, high heat performance and lower specific gravities. The Automotive industry has similar needs, and the application of composites in semi-structural application is a natural next phase. This is also necessitated because of global emphases on fuel efficiency and safety considerations in automotive applications. In this paper, thermoplastic composite material technology solutions and case studies for a number of applications, such as front-end-modules, door modules and instrument panel carriers are presented. Since processing and material modeling of composites is of critical importance in the design process, this paper also describes a new definition of isotropic properties of long glass composites, and perhaps the only way of honestly comparing such materials. This method is now accepted as an European Alliance for Thermoplastic Composite (EATC) standard.
|Technical Paper||Life Cycle Assessment of Vinyl and TPO in Instrument Panel Skins|
|Technical Paper||Development of TPO Based Rear Bumper Back Beam|
|Technical Paper||Head Impact Analysis of a Typical Instrument Panel Mounted Radio|
CitationChaturvedi, M., Schijve, W., and Marks, M., "Advanced Thermoplastic Composites for Automotive Semi-Structural Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0086, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0086.
- Schijve, W. “Intelligent Design and Material Use in Front Ends” CTI Congress 2007 Munchen, Germany
- Optistruct is Part of the Altair Hyperworks CAE module TM of Altair Engineering, Inc
- Schijve, W Martens, H. “LGF-PP in Light Weight IP-Carriers and Door Modules” SFIP Congres International Carrosserie and Plastique Douai 2008
- Schijve, W. “Common Errors and Honest Material Comparisons for Long Glass PP Materials” AV-TV Conference Baden-Baden 2002
- Tsai, S. W Hahn, H T. “Introduction to Composite Materials” 0-87762-288-4 1980