This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Procedure to Realize the FEM Model of a Tubular Steel Frame for Motorcycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 21, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2009
During the development of a tubular steel frame for motorcycles, it is very important to make FEM calculations in order to evaluate the stress level and the stiffness of the structure. The FEM models must be light in order to reduce calculation time and precise in order to obtain reliable results that can be checked in the following experimental tests.
FEM models of tubular frame made using 1D elements (Pipe) have low precision results and are not advisable for this kind of work. It is suggested to use FEM models made using 2D elements (Shell) for sensitivity tests too. In order to obtain the best result using Shell elements, it is very important to choose the right criterion to model the welding parts: the model must represent the right inertia of the tubular welded joint and be both accurate and easy to be modeled.
In this paper, the work-flow adopted by the CAE Department of Engines Engineering for the FEM analysis of a tubular steel frame is described along with the criteria adopted to realize the model of a tubular frame by using Shell elements and those to realize a tubular welded joint also with solid elements.
|Technical Paper||Estimating of Motorcycle Frame Strength by Virtual Durability Test|
|Technical Paper||Six Sigma Methodologies in Microjoining - Improve Step|
|Journal Article||A Theoretical Model for the Elastic-Plastic Behaviour of Spot Welded Joints|
CitationMauro, L. and Trozzi, L., "Procedure to Realize the FEM Model of a Tubular Steel Frame for Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0061, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0061.
- Mauro, L. “Nota_T_CAE_EE_01 Tecniche di Modellazione Per le Saldature Dei Telai Tubolari” internal report Engines Engineering 2003
- Mauro, L. “Nota_T_CAE_F125_04_06 Analisi Strutturale ed Ottimizzazione Del Telaio EE 125GP” internal report Engines Engineering 2003
- Mauro, L. “Nota_T_CAE_EE_06 Analisi di Sensibilità per Solidi Tozzi Discretizzati in Elementi Tetraedrici Del Secondo Ordine” internal report Engines Engineering 2006
- Mauro, L. “Nota_T_CAE_EE_09 Confronto Tra Modelli di Forcelloni Motociclistici in Alementi shell e Solid” internal report Engines Engineering 2007
- ANSYS 10.0 user's manual
- ALTAIR HYPERWORKS 8.0 user's manual