This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation for Crashworthiness of Frontal Rail Structure Using Explicit Finite Element Code
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 21, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2009
The effectiveness of the front rails in an automobile structure depends on its deformation behavior. Axial crush helps absorb energy, and hence decelerate the car, in a controlled manner. A bending collapse limits the energy absorption by the rails. Hence, this mode of failure of the front rails should be prevented.
In this paper, a new design for the front rails, one with an additional telescopic surround for the front rail has been proposed. This progressively collapsible component provides support to the front rail and prevents its bending collapse. The advantage of the new design in energy absorption has been demonstrated through simulation.
CitationR, L. and Banthia, V., "Numerical Simulation for Crashworthiness of Frontal Rail Structure Using Explicit Finite Element Code," SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0060, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0060.
- Ostrowski, Marian et al. “Feasibility Study of an Adaptive Energy Absorbing System for Passenger Vehicles” Institute of Fundamental Technological Research CMM-2005-Computer Methods in Mechanics Poland
- Bois, Paul Du et al. “Vehicle Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection” Automotive Applications Committee, American Iron and Steel Institute Michigan 2004
- “LS-DYNA KEYWORD USER'S MANUAL” Volume2 Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2001
- Hollowell, William T. “Review of Potential Test Procedures for FMVSS No-208” office of vehicle safety research, NHTSA 1998
- Morlog, M.J.C. “Simulatie en beproeving van een Crashkoker (Simulation and Testing of a Crush column), in Dutch, Practical Assignment” internal report W/VT R 98.57 Eindhoven University of Technology, Laboratory for Automotive Engineering Eindhoven, The Netherlands 1998