This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lean NOx Trap Aftertreatment Technology Impact on Engine Oil Dilution
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Euro 6 European legislation emission limits, expected to be introduced around the 2014 timeframe, Lean NOx Trap (LNT) Aftertreatment technology is today considered one the of candidate technology to allow diesel Engine to meet the future Euro 6 limit.
The working principle of the LNT is based on its capability to store the NOx engine out during the normal lean (excess of Oxygen) phase operation condition of the Diesel engine. The NOx will be then reduced in a dedicated regeneration phase which consist in creating for relatively short time a rich exhaust gas condition inside the LNT.
The LNT regeneration strategy lead to run a Diesel engine with a rich mixture out of the combustion as a Gasoline engine. This can be obtained using advanced air and fuel management. The fuel management implicate the use of delayed injections (after and/or post injections) which can have a direct impact on oil dilution.
In this paper, an experimental assessment of the additional oil dilution phenomenon, potentially introduced by the LNT application, was proposed. The first step of the work was the characterization, in several engine operating conditions, of the NOx storage capacity of the LNT catalyst tested.
The second step was the definition of an oil dilution test procedure for a LNT system that has to take into consideration DPF and LNT regeneration events contribution. The oil dilution was measured by chemical analysis of oil sample (viscosity " 40 °C and 100 °C).
- M. Cardone - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica — Università di Napoli Federico II — Napoli — Italy
- A. Senatore - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica — Università di Napoli Federico II — Napoli — Italy
- D. Buono - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica — Università di Napoli Federico II — Napoli — Italy
- G. Cipolla - General Motors Corp
- A. Chianale - General Motors Corp
- A. Leo - General Motors Corp
CitationCardone, M., Senatore, A., Buono, D., Cipolla, G. et al., "Lean NOx Trap Aftertreatment Technology Impact on Engine Oil Dilution," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0153, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0153.
- Buono, D. Cardone, M. Senatore, A. Sessa G. “Experimental Study of Lean NOx Trap Management” SAE paper n. 2007-01-3442 - 14th Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference Hollywood, California, USA August 5–8 2007
- Ura, J. A. Goralaski C. T. Jr., Graham, G. W. McCabe, R. W. Theis, J. R. “Laboratory Study of Lean NOx Trap Desulfation Strategies” SAE paper n. 2005-01-114 , SAE World Congress & Exhibition April 2005 Detroit, MI, USA
- Colliou, T. Lavy, J. Martin, B. Chandes, K. Pichon, G. Pierron, L. “Coupling of a NOx Trap and a CDPF for Emission Reduction of a 6-Cylinder HD Engine” SAE Paper n. 2004-01-1945 , SAE Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition June 2004 Toulouse, FRANCE
- Erkfeldt, S. Larsson, M. Hedblom, H. Skoglundh, M. “Sulphur Poisoning and Regeneration of NOx Trap Catalyst for Direct Injected Gasoline Engines” SAE paper n. 1999-01-3504 , International Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exposition October 1999 Toronto, ON, CANAD
- Rohr, F. Bremm, S. Carelli, G. Goebel, U. Kattwinkel, P. Kreuzer, T. Müller, W. “Advanced NOx-storage catalyst technology for Diesel applications” 04A5028, ATA International Symposium October 2004 Monopoli, Bari, Italy
- Chimmer, C. T. “Transient On-Road Emission Reduction of an LNT & SCR Aftertreatment System” SAE Paper n. 2008-01-2461 , Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress & Exhibition October 2008 Chicago, IL, USA
- Parks, J. E. West, B. Huff, S. “Characterization of Lean NOx Trap Catalysts with In-Cylinder Regeneration Strategies” SAE Paper n. 2008-01-0448 , SAE World Congress & Exhibition April 2008 Detroit, MI, USA
- Min, L. S. Woo, P. J. Kyong, L. H. Jin-Ha, L. Hong-Jip, K. “Development of LNT (Lean NOx Trap) System Using 2nd Injector” F2008-06-059, FISITA 2008 World Automotive Congress 14–19 September 2008 Munich, Germany
- Wilfried, M. Paul, S. Friedmann, R. “NOx Aftertreatment Systems for Diesel Engines” , F2008-06-024 FISITA 2008 World Automotive Congress 14–19 September 2008 Munich, Germany
- Soliman, A. Choil, I. Midlam-Mohler, S. Zou, Z. Rizzoni, G. “Modeling and Diagnositcs of Nox After-treatment Systems” 2006P079 Fisita 2006 World Automotive Congress 22–27 October Yokohama, Japan