This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Engine Crankshaft Speed for Determination of Cylinder Pressure Parameters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The present study proposes the use of a MLP neural network to model the relationship between the engine crankshaft speed and parameters derived from the in-cylinder pressure cycle. This allows to have an indirect measure of cylinder pressure permitting a real time evaluation of combustion quality. The structure of the model and the training procedure is outlined in the paper. The application of the model is demonstrated on a single-cylinder engine with data from a wide range of speed and load. Results confirm that a good estimation of combustion pressure parameters can be obtained by means of a suitable processing of crankshaft speed signal.
- F. Taglialatela - APG - Powertrain & Safety Division - Advanced System Applications - STMicroelectronics, Arzano (NA) (Italy)
- N. Cesario - APG - Powertrain & Safety Division - Advanced System Applications - STMicroelectronics, Arzano (NA) (Italy)
- M. Lavorgna - APG - Powertrain & Safety Division - Advanced System Applications - STMicroelectronics, Arzano (NA) (Italy)
- S. S. Merola - Istituto Motori - CNR, Napoli (Italy)
- B. M. Vaglieco - Istituto Motori - CNR, Napoli (Italy)
CitationTaglialatela, F., Cesario, N., Lavorgna, M., Merola, S. et al., "Use of Engine Crankshaft Speed for Determination of Cylinder Pressure Parameters," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0108, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0108.
- Mobley, C. “Non-Intrusive, In-Cylinder Pressure Measurement of Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper n° 1999-01-0544 1999
- Patterson, J. Panousakis, D. Gasiz A. Chen, R. “Analysis of SI Combustion Diagnostics Methods Using Ion-Current Sensing Techniques” SAE paper n° 2006-01-1345 2006
- Wlodarczyk, M. “High Accuracy Glow Plug-Integrated Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Closed Loop Engine Control” SAE paper n° 2006-01-0184 2006
- Wagner, M. Carstens-Behrens, S. Bohme, J.- “In-cylinder pressure estimation using structural vibration measurements of spark ignition engines” -” Proceedings of the IEEE Signal Processing Workshop on Higher-Order Statistics 1999
- Villarino, R. Boehm, J. “Peak Pressure Position Estimation from Structure-Borne Sound” SAE paper n° 2005-01-0040 2005
- Polonowski, C. J. Mathur, V. Naber, J. Blough, J. “ Accelerometer Based Sensing of Combustion in a High Speed HPCR Diesel Engine” SAE paper n° 2007-01-0972 2007
- Antoni, J. Daniere, J. Guillet, F.- “Effective vibration analysis of IC engines using cyclostationarity, part 1: a methodology for condition monitoring -” Journal of Sound and Vibration 257 815 837 2002
- Johnsson, R. “Cylinder pressure reconstruction based on complex radial basis function networks from vibration and speed signals” Mechanical systems and signal processing vol. 20 no 8 1923 1940 April 2006
- Citron, S. J. O'Higgins, J. E. Chen, L. Y. “Cylinder by Cylinder Engine Pressure and Pressure Torque Waveform Determination Utilizing Speed Fluctuations,” SAE paper n° 890486 1989
- Rizzoni, G. “Diagnosis-of individual cylinder misfires by signature analysis of crankshaft speed fluctuations” SAE paper n° 890884 1989
- Connolly, F. T. Yagle, A. E. “Modeling and identification of the combustion pressure process in internal combustion engines using engine speed fluctuations.” ASME DSC-vol. 44 1992