This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer simulation of “fuel cell - electric motor” system
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The article presents results of the simulation research of “fuel cell - electric motor” system. The simulations were made for battery of alkaline fuel cells which feed a direct current disc motor with permanent magnet. An electric motor of this type is used to propel electric vehicles. The simulations were made on the basis of a voltage-current characteristics of a cell and a mathematical model of an electric motor. The cell characteristics was described by the use of a mathematical equation in the form of polynomial and the motor running by a differential equation of voltage and motion. The system was researched in a steady and unsteady state of operation. The course of voltage, current and motor rotary speed when set in motion was evaluated as well as the dependence of a motor's rotary speed and efficiency on load torque. The simulation of motor starting up was not only made for the case of idle running but also for running with an nominal load. The article describes the characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of the applied method of simulations.
CitationAdamiec, M. and Dziubi?ski, M., "Computer simulation of “fuel cell - electric motor” system," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0085, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0085.
- Bernay, C. Marchand, M. Cassir, M. Prospects of different fuel cell technologies for vehicle applications J. Power Sources 108 2002 139 152
- Shukla, A. K. Ravikumar, M. K. Gandhi, K. S. Direct methanol fuel cells for vehicular applications J. Solid State Electrochem 1998 2 117 122
- De Geeter, E. Mangan, M. Spaepen, S. Stinissen, W. Vennekens, G. Alkaline fuel cells for road traction J. Power Sources 80 1999 207 212
- Hoogers, G. Fuel cell technology handbook CRC Press Boca Raton (Florida) 2003
- Lin, H. H. Cheng, C. H. Soong, C. Y. Chen, F. Yan, W. M. Optimization of key parameters in the proton exchange membrane fuel cell J. Power Sources 162 2006 246 254
- Matryonin, V. I. Ovchinikov, A. T. Tzedilkin, A. P. Investigation of the operating parameters influence on H 2 -O 2 alkaline fuel cell performance Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 22 1997 1047 1052
- Wu, J. Liu, Q. Fang, H. Toward the optimization of operating conditions for hydrogen polymer electrolyte fuel cells J. Power Sources 156 2006 388 399
- Bao, C. Ouyang, M. Yi, B. Modeling and optimization of the air system in polymer exchange membrane fuel cell systems Power Sources 156 2006 232 243
- Jo, J. H. Yi, S.C. A computational simulation of an alkaline fuel cell J. Power Sources 84 1999 87 106
- Khan, M. J. Iqbal, M. T. Dynamic modeling and simulation of a small wind-fuel cell hybrid energy system Renewable Energy 30 2005 421 439
- Kulikovsky, A. A. The voltage-current curve of a polymer electrolyte fuel cell: “exact” and fitting equations Electrochemistry Communications 4 2002 845 852
- Liu, Z. Mao, Z. Wang, C. Zhuge, W. Hang, Y. Numerical simulation of a mini PEMFC stack J. Power Sources 160 2006 1111 1121
- Yerramalla, S. Davari, A. Feliachi, A. Biswas, T. Modeling and simulation of the dynamic behavior of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell J. Power Sources 124 2003 104 113
- Thomassen, M. Børresen, B. Scott, K. Tunold, R. A computational simulation of a hydrogen/chlorine single fuel cell J. Power Sources 157 2006 271 283
- Maxoulis, C. N. Tsinoglou, D. N. Koltsakis, G. C. Modeling of automotive fuel cell operation in driving cycles Energy Conversion and Management 45 2004 559 573
- Vath, A. Lemeěs, Z. Mäncher, H. Söhn, M. Nicoloso, N. Hartkopf, T. Dynamic modelling and hardware-in-the-loop testing of PEMFC J. Power Sources 157 2006 816 827