This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hybrid Drive Systems for Industrial Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Hybrid drives for automotive application are extensively discussed and have been available for several years. In contrast, hybrid drives for industrial and off highway applications are less developed. This is even though the fuel savings potential and expected other benefits are much more promising than in automotive applications.
The company HEINZMANN and the University of Karlsruhe concentrate on hybrid drives for these applications. HEINZMANN develops and produces control systems and electrical motors which can be used in hybrid drives. The Institute of Mobile Machines at the University of Karlsruhe is experienced in simulating off highway machines. In a joined project the two partners are applying an electrical mild hybrid drive to a municipal multipurpose vehicle.
In this paper the diesel-electric hybrid technology is presented as well as the different applications in construction equipment, fork lifts. A closer analysis is performed with a municipal multi-purpose vehicle equipped with the hybrid drive. Measurements of a conventional vehicle were used for the validation of a simulation model. Results of the simulation are being presented. More than 20% savings in fuel consumption have been determined.
- Frank Böhler - Heinzmann GmbH & Co. KG, Am Haselbach 1, D-79677 Schönau
- Richard Zahoransky - Heinzmann GmbH & Co. KG, Am Haselbach 1, D-79677 Schönau
- Phillip Thiebes - Institute of Vehicle Science and Mobile Machines, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), D - 76131 Karlsruhe
- Marcus Geimer - Institute of Vehicle Science and Mobile Machines, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), D - 76131 Karlsruhe
- Julien Santoire - Institute of Vehicle Science and Mobile Machines, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), D - 76131 Karlsruhe
CitationBöhler, F., Thiebes, P., Geimer, M., Santoire, J. et al., "Hybrid Drive Systems for Industrial Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0061, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0061.
- Prandi R. A True Heavy-Duty Hybrid Deutz, HEINZMANN Diesel Progress Int. Sept.–Oct. 2007
- van der Tuuk, T. Dieselhybridantriebe als alternative Antriebslösungen Informationstagung des VDMA und der Univ. Karlsruhe “Hybridantriebe für mobile Arbeitsmaschinen” Karlsruhe 2007
- LINDE Material Handling GmbH picture 2008
- Böhler F. Zahoransky R. Industrial Engines Meet Hybrid Technology Diesel Progress Int. March–April 2008
- Axeon Power Ltd. picture credit 2008
- Thiebes, P. Geimer M. Jansen G. Hybridan-triebe abseits der Straße - Methodisches Vorgehen zur Bestimmung von Effizienzsteigerungspotentialen 2. Fachtagung Hybridantriebe für mobile Arbeitsmaschinen 18 02 2009 125 135