This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Influence of Bio-Diesel Blends on the Mixture Formation, Combustion and Emission Behavior of a Modern HSDI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The aim of this work has been to investigate the influence of bio-diesel (FAME - fatty acid methyl ester) and reasonable blends of FAME and diesel, on the behavior of the mixture formation, the combustion process and the emission levels of a modern diesel engine. Therefore experimental investigations have been carried out on a single cylinder engine which is a modification of a four cylinder production HSDI (high speed direct injection) diesel engine. Cylinder pressure and tail-pipe emissions have been measured. Additionally the injector has been mounted on a flow-metering device to gather information about the pure flow through the injection system depending on the fuel type. In parallel with the experimental investigations CFD (computational fluid dynamics) calculations have been carried out in order to closely check local effects inside the injector and the combustion chamber. The applied chemical and physical models have been extended with the relevant property data for FAME and blends of FAME and diesel. The different methods lead to a quite uniform picture about the effects of bio-diesel, which means, that generally the hardware of modern diesel engines is capable of dealing with the investigated amounts of bio-fuel without any modification. The fuel efficiency usually decreases but emissions can be improved with raising amount of FAME.
- P. Priesching - AVL List GmbH, Graz, Austria
- Z. Pavlovic - AVL List GmbH, Graz, Austria
- P. Ertl - AVL List GmbH, Graz, Austria
- N. Del Giacomo - Istituto Motori, Naples, Italy
- C. Beatrice - Istituto Motori, Naples, Italy
- E. Mancaruso - Istituto Motori, Naples, Italy
- B.M. Vaglieco - Istituto Motori, Naples, Italy
CitationPriesching, P., Pavlovic, Z., Ertl, P., Giacomo, N. et al., "Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Influence of Bio-Diesel Blends on the Mixture Formation, Combustion and Emission Behavior of a Modern HSDI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0041, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0041.
- Priesching, P., Ramusch, G., Ruetz, J, Tatschl, R., “3D-CFD Modeling of Conventional and Alternative Diesel Combustion and Pollutant Formation – A Validation Study”, JSAE 20077285, 2007
- Greif, D., Morozov, A., Winklhofer, E., Tatschl, R., “Experimental and numerical investigations of erosive effects due to cavitation within injection equipment”, 4th International Conference on Computational Heat and Mass Transfer, Paper reference No: ICCHMT'05 – 257, May 17–20, Paris-Cachan, France, 2005
- Perković, L., Greif, D., Tatschl, R., Priesching, P., Duić, N., “3D CFD calculation of injector nozzle model flow for standard and alternative fuels”, HEAT 2008, Fifth International Conference on Transport Phenomena In Multiphase Systems, June 30 – July 3, Bialystok, Poland, 2008
- McCrady, J. P., Stringer, V. L., Hansen, A. C., Lee, C. F., “Computational Analysis of Biodiesel Combustion in a Low-Temperature Combustion Engine using Well-Defined Fuel Properties”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0617, 2007
- Faria, M. D. C., Valle, M. L. M., Pinto, R. R. C., “The influence of physico-chemical properties of diesel/biodiesel mixture on atomization quality in diesel direct injection engines”, SAE Paper 2005-01-4154, 2005
- Yoon, S. H. Park, S. H., Lee, C. S., “Experimental Investigation on the Fuel Properties of Biodiesel and its Blends at Various Temperatures”, Energy & Fuels Vol. 22, pp. 652–656, 2008
- IAV Automotive Engineering Inc.: EVI (“EinspritzVerlaufsIndikator”) operating manual.
- FIRE® Version v2008 Manual, AVL List GmbH Graz, Austria, 2008
- PREVERO - Experimental and CFD technology for PREVentive reduction of Diesel engine emissions caused by cavitation EROsion. EC project No: ENK6-CT-2002-00605
- Avolio, G., Beatrice, C., Bertoli, C., “Development of a Single Cylinder Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Advanced Combustion System Studies”, Proceedings of 11th Expo International Conference on High-Tech Engines and Cars, 26–27 May 2005, Modena, Italy, 2005
- Beatrice, C., Avolio, G., Guido, C., “Experimental Analysis of the Operating Parameter Influence on the application of Low Temperature Combustion in the Modern Diesel Engines”, JSAE 20077183, SAE Paper 2007-01-1839, 2007
- Merola, S. S., Vaglieco, B. M., Corcione, F. E., Mancaruso, E., “In-cylinder Combustion Analysis by Flame Emission Spectroscopy of Transparent CR Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2003-01-1112, 2003
- Mancaruso, E., Merola, S. S., Vaglieco, B. M., “Study of the multi-injection combustion process in a transparent direct injection common rail diesel engine by means of optical techniques”, International Journal of Engine Research, Vol 9 - No 6 pp 483–498, 2008
- Beatrice, C., Bertoli, C., Cirillo, N. C., di Stasio, S., Del Giacomo, N., “Two-colour pyrometry measurements of soot loading in a diesel engine burning fuels of varying quality”, Combustion Science and Technology Vol. 110–111, pp. 321–339, 1995
- Bertoli, C., Beatrice, C., Di Stasio, S., Del Giacomo, N., “In-Cylinder Soot and NOx Concentration Measurements in D.I. Diesel Engine fed by Fuels of Varying Quality”, SAE Paper 960832, 1996
- Beatrice, C., Bertoli, C., Del Giacomo, N., Migliaccio, M.na, “Potentiality of Oxygenated Synthetic Fuel and Reformulated Fuel on Emissions from a Modern DI Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3595, 1999