This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cavitation effects on spray characteristics in the near-nozzle field
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a special technique for visualizing the first 1.5 millimetres of the spray has been applied to examine the link between cavitation phenomenon inside the nozzle and spray behaviour in the near nozzle field.
For this purpose, a real Diesel axi-symmetric nozzle has been analyzed. Firstly, the nozzle has been geometrically and hydraulically characterized. Mass flow measurements at stationary conditions have allowed the detection of the pressure conditions for mass flow choking, usually related with cavitation inception in the literature. Nevertheless, with the objective to get a deeper knowledge of cavitation phenomenon, near nozzle field visualization technique has been used to detect cavitation bubbles injected in a pressurized chamber filled with Diesel fuel. Using backlight illumination, the differences in terms of density and refractive index allowed the distinction between vapour and liquid fuel phases. From these visualization results, two important conclusions can be established: on the one hand, supercavitation is detected for pressure drop conditions at which mass flow choking has not appeared yet. On the other hand, it can be seen that the spray formed by cavitation bubbles spreads as pressure drop conditions get stronger.
Finally, spray visualization in a nitrogen pressurized chamber has been developed for stationary conditions. In order to analyze cavitation influence on spray characteristics, pressure drop has been modified near the values at which cavitation bubbles had been detected out of the nozzle. Two different test strategies will be used for this purpose: fixing injection pressure, which implies changing chamber density for each test point, or fixing chamber pressure. Both kinds of measurements revealed a noticeable increment of spray cone angle when supercavitation appears. This fact can be assumed as an indicator of atomization improvement induced by the collapse of cavitation bubbles at the nozzle exit.
- J. M. Desantes - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- R. Payri - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- F. J. Salvador - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- J. de la Morena. - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
CitationDesantes, J., Payri, R., Salvador, F., and de la Morena., J., "Cavitation effects on spray characteristics in the near-nozzle field," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0037, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0037.
- Soteriou C Smith M Andrews R Direct Injection Diesel Sprays and the Effects of Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip on Atomization Presented at SAE World Congress, 950080 1995
- Hiroyasu, H. 2000 Spray breakup mechanism from the hole-type nozzle and its applications Atomization and Sprays 10 511 527
- Ganippa, L.C. Bark, G. Andersson, S. Chomiak, J. 2004 Cavitation: a contributory factor in the transition from symmetric to asymmetric jets in cross flow nozzles Experiments in Fluids 36 627 634
- Lee, C.S Lee, K.H. Reitz, R.D. Park, S.W. 2006 Effect of split injection on the macroscopic development and atomization characteristics of a Diesel spray injected through a common-rail system Atomization and Sprays 16 5 543 562
- Payri F Bermúdez V Payri R Salvador FJ 2004 The influence of cavitation on the internal flow and the Spray characteristics in diesel injection nozzles Fuel 83 419 31
- Payri, R. Guardiola, C. Salvador, F.J. Gimeno, J. 2004 Critical cavitation number determination in Diesel injection nozzles Experimental Techniques 28 3 49 52
- Desantes, J.M. Payri, R. Pastor, J.M. Gimeno, J. 2005 Experimental characterization of internal nozzle flow and Diesel spray behavior. Part I: Non-evaporative conditions Atomization and Sprays 15 5 489 516
- Leick, P. Riedel, T. Bittlinger, G. Powell, C.F. Kastengren, A.L. Wang, J. X-ray Measurements of the Mass Distribution in the Dense Primary Breakup Region of the Spray from a Standard Multi-Hole Common-Rail Diesel Injection System Proceedings of ILASS-Europe 2007
- Linne, M.A. Paciaroni, M. Berrocal, E. Sedarsky, D. Ballistic imaging of liquid break-up processes in dense sprays Proceedings of Combustion Institute 32 2147 2161 2009
- Arcoumanis C Flora H Gavaises M Cavitation in Real Size Multi-Hole Diesel Injector Nozzles Presented at SAE World Congress, 2000-01-1249 2000
- Chaves H Knapp M Kubitzek A Experimental study of cavitation in the nozzle hole of diesel injectors using transparent nozzles Presented at SAE World Congress 950290 1995
- Li, H. Collicott, S.H. 2006 Visualization of cavitation in high-pressure Diesel fuel injector orifices Atomization and Sprays 16 875 886
- Suh, H.K. Lee, C.S. 2008 Effect of cavitation in nozzle orifice on the Diesel fuel atomization characteristics International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 29 4 1001 1009
- Sug, H.K. Park, S.H. Lee, C.S. 2008 Experimental investigation of nozzle cavitating flow characteristics for Diesel and biodiesel fuels International Journal of Automotive Technology 9 2 217 224
- Badock, C. Wirth, R. Fath, A. Leipertz, A. 1999 Investigation of cavitation in real size Diesel injection nozzles International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 20 5 538 544
- Winklhofer, E. Kull, E. Kelz, E. Morozov, A. 2001 Comprehensive hydraulic and flow field documentation in model throttle experiments under cavitation conditions ILASS-Europe 2001 Zurich 2–6 September 2001
- Mischra, C. Peles, Y. 2005 Cavitation in flow through a micro-orifice inside a silicon microchannel Physics of fluids 17
- Dabiri, S. Sirignano, W.A. Joseph, D.D. 2007 Cavitation in an orifice flow Physics of Fluids 19 7
- Vortmann, C. Schnerr, G.H. Seelecke, S. 2003 Thermodynamic modelling and simulation of cavitating nozzle flow International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 24 5 774 783
- Macián, V. Payri, R. Margot, X. Salvador, F.J. 2003 A CFD analysis of the influence of Diesel nozzle geometry on the inception of cavitation Atomization and Sprays 13 579 604
- Nurick WH. 1976 Orifice cavitation and its effect on spray mixing ASME J Fluids Eng 1976 681 7
- Lichtarowicz, A. Duggins, R. K. Markland, E. 1965 Discharge coefficients for incompressible non-cavitating flow through long orifices Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 7 2
- Payri, R. Salvador, F.J. Gimeno, J. Bracho, G. 2008 A new methodology for correcting the signal cumulative phenomenon on injection rate measurements Experimental Techniques 32 1 46 49
- Otsu, N. 1979 A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-9 1
- Ramamurthi, K. Nandakumar, K. 1999 Characteristics of flow through small sharp-edged cylindrical orifices Flow measurement and Instrumentation 10 133 143
- Desantes, J.M. Payri, R. Salvador, F.J. Soare, V. Study of the Influence of Geometrical and Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics in isothermal conditions Presented at SAE World Congress 2005-01-0913