This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study of a GDI Engine Operating in the Jet Guided Combustion Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The work relates to the use of multidimensional modelling as a tool for improving the robustness of combustion of a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Spark Ignition (SI) engine. A procedure is assessed for the prediction of the thermo-fluid-dynamic processes occurring in a single-cylinder, four-stroke engine, characterised by a bore-to-stroke ratio close to the unity, and a pent-roof head with four valves. The engine is at a design stage, under development for application on two wheels vehicles. A new generation six-holes Bosch injector is considered as realising a jet guided combustion mode. This last is preferred for its potential in realising effective charge stratification and great combustion stability under various operating conditions.
The three-dimensional (3D) numerical model is developed within the AVL FIRE™ software environment. A sub-model for the gasoline spray spatial-temporal dynamics is first assessed on the ground of experimental data collected by injecting fuel in a constant volume vessel containing nitrogen at controlled pressure and temperature. The measured instantaneous injected mass flow rate and the mean value of the measured cone angles are used as input variables for the model. Initial droplets size at the nozzle exit section is assumed accordingly to a probabilistic log-normal distribution of given variance and expected value. Choosing the variance as linearly dependent on injection pressure, after a simple tuning of the constants entering the breakup model, furnishes well predictive results as regards spray penetration length, overall spray structure and local particle size at a given distance from the holes exit section. The simulation of the complete engine cycle is realised by using boundary conditions set on the ground of a one-dimensional (1D) simulation of the entire propulsion system, performed by means of the 1Dime code. This last exploits information derived by a preliminary evaluation of the intake and exhaust valves discharge coefficients. Representative engine operating conditions are discussed, relevant to stoichiometric full load, and lean and stoichiometric low load operations. The effects on the in-cylinder mixture formation process of parameters as the Start Of Injection (SOI) and its duration (namely injection pressure at constant injected mass) are analysed.
The work is finalised to derive preliminary guidelines towards an optimised design of the engine in the mixed mode stratified charge direct injection mode.
- F. Bozza - DIME — University of Naples “Federico II”, Via Claudio, 21, 80125 Naples, ITALY
- M. Costa - Istituto Motori — CNR, Viale Marconi, 8, 80125 Naples, ITALY
- B. Iorio - Istituto Motori — CNR, Viale Marconi, 8, 80125 Naples, ITALY
- U. Sorge - Istituto Motori — CNR, Viale Marconi, 8, 80125 Naples, ITALY
- V. Giglio - Istituto Motori — CNR, Viale Marconi, 8, 80125 Naples, ITALY
CitationCosta, M., Iorio, B., Sorge, U., Giglio, V. et al., "Numerical Study of a GDI Engine Operating in the Jet Guided Combustion Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0021, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0021.
- Alkidas A. C. “Combustion advancements in gasoline engines” Energy Conversion and Management 48 2751 2761 2007
- Stan C. Direct Injection Systems for Spark-Ignition and Compression-Ignition Engines SAE Publication 2000
- Piock W. “Spark-Ignition Internal Combustion Engine with Direct Injection” US Patent 6578547 B2 2003
- Landenfeld T. Kufferath A. Gerhard J. “Gasoline Direct Injection – SULEV Emission Concept” SAE Paper 2004-01-0041 2004
- Van Der Wege B. A Han Z. Iyer C. O. Munoz R. B. Yi J. “Development and analysis of a spray-guided DISI combustion system concept” SAE Paper 2003-01-3105 2003
- Schwartz C. Schunemann B. Durst B. Fischer J. Witt A. “Potentials of the spray-guided BMW DI combustion system” SAE Paper 2006-01-265 2006
- Cathcart G. Railton D. “Improving robustness of spray guided DI combustion systems: the air-assisted approach” JSAE 2001 Spring Convention, Paper 20015360 2001
- Shim Y. S. Choi G. M. Kim D. J. “Numerical modelling of hollow-cone fuel atomisation, vaporisation and wall impingement processes” International Journal of Automotive Technology 9 3 2008
- Brewster S. Cathcart G. Zavier C. “The Potential of Enhanced HCCI/CAI Control Through the Application of Spray Guided Direct Injection” SAE Paper 2008-01-0035 2008
- Costa M. Iorio B. Sorge U. Alfuso S. “Assessment of a numerical model for multi-hole gasoline sprays to be employed in the simulation of spark ignition GDI engines with a jet-guided combustion mode” SAE Paper 2009-01-1915 2009
- Alfuso S. Allocca L. Greco M. Montanaro A. Valentino G. “Time and Space Characterization of Multi-hole GDI Sprays for IC Engines by Images Processing and PDA Techniques” Paper ILASS08-071 2008
- Bosch W. “The Fuel Rate Indicator: a New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection” SAE Paper 6607496 1966
- Dukowicz J.K. “A Particle-Fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays” J. Comp. Physics 35 229 253 1980
- Huh K.Y. Gosman A.D. “A Phenomenological Model of Diesel Spray Atomisation” Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Multiphase Flows Tsukuba, Japan 1991
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Senatore A. Caraceni A. “A Theorethical Comparison of Various VVA Systems for Performance and Emission Improvements of SI-Engines” SAE Paper 2001-01-0671
- Bozza F. Torella E. “The Employment of a 1D Simulation Model for the A/F Ratio Control in a VVT Engine” SAE Transactions, Journal of Engines 3 112 2004
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Andreassi L. Rocco V. Scarcelli R. “1D-3D Analysis of the Scavenging and Combustion Process in a Gasoline and Natural-Gas Fuelled Two-Stroke Engine” SAE Paper 2008-01-1087 2008