This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control and Simulation of a Ducted Fan VTOL UAV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a strategy to simulate a dynamic model of a vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) in flight transition from vertical climb to horizontal flight. Based on unique aerodynamic characteristics from CFD calculation and theoretical method the flight dynamics of ducted fan UAV is able to be modeled and simulated accurately. MATLAB/Simulink V-Realm Builder is a design and modeling software tool for air vehicles that is capable of modeling the performance and flight dynamics during the conceptual and preliminary stage of aircraft design. To develop a control strategy, modeling and simulation of flight dynamics of ducted fan UAV is necessary, because it not only can be applied to optimize dynamic model, but also be used to ensure the dynamic model match with control law.
CitationZhao, H., Bil, C., and Yoon, B., "Control and Simulation of a Ducted Fan VTOL UAV," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3126, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3126.
- Escareno J. Stone R.H. Sanchez A. Lozano R. “Modeling and Control Strategy for the Transition of a Convertible Tail-sitter UAV.” European Control Conference 2007
- Nicola de D. “Performance and Stability Analysis of a Shrouded-Fan Unmanned Aerial Vehicle,” Journal of Aircraft 43 3 May-June 2006 681 691
- Grelaud N. Bil C. Gough M Chatrenet N. “Aerodynamic Design of a VTOL Ducted Fan UAV with Surface Flow Control,” Congress Bristol VTOL UAV U.K 2006
- Hui W. Z. Bil C. Bok H. Y. “Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations on Preproduction Ducted Fan VTOL UAV for Stability and Control,” 3rd Australasian Unmanned Air Vehicles Conference 9 - 12 March, 2009
- Ko A. Ohanian O. J. Gelhausen P. “Ducted Fan UAV Modeling and Simulation in Preliminary Design,” AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference and Exhibit Hilton Head, South Carolina 20-23 August 2007
- Hui W. Z. Bil C. “Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of a VTOL Ducted-Fan UAV,” 26th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference 18 - 21 August 2008 Honolulu, Hawaii
- Kubo D. Suzuki S. “Tail-Sitter Vertical Takeoff and Landing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle: Transitional Flight Analysis,” Journal of Aircraft 45 1 January-February 2008 292 297
- Roberts A. D. “Attitude Estimation and Control of A Ducted Fan VTOL UAV,” Thesis Lakehead University August 2007
- Omar Z. Bil C. Hill R. “The Application of Fuzzy Logic on Transition Maneuver Control of a New Ducted-Fan VTOL UAV Configuration,” AIAC12 Congress-2nd Australasian Unmanned Air Vehicles 2007
- Solaque L. Pinzon Z. Duque M. “Nonlinear control of the airship cruise flight phase with dynamical decoupling,” Electronics, Robotics and Automotive Mechanics Conference 1st December 2008 Morelos, Mexico
- Salazar S. Romero H. Lozano R. Castillo P. “Modeling and Real-Time Stabilization of an Aircraft Having Eight Rotors Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 54 455 470 1-3 2009 0921-0296
- Ahmed B. Pota H. R. Garratt M. “Flight Control of a Rotary wing UAV-A Practical Approach,” 47th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control Cancun, Mexico Dec. 9-11, 2008
- Escareno J. Sanchez A. Garcia O. Lozano R. “Modeling and Global Control of the Longitudinal Dynamics of a Coaxial Convertible Mini-UAV in Hover Mode,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 54 261 273 1-3 2009 0921-0296