This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Constrained Control of UAVs Using Adaptive Anti-windup Compensation and Reference Governors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gliders can climb to substantial altitudes without employing any on-board energy resources but using proper piloting skills to utilize rising air currents called thermals. Recent experiments on small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) indicate a significant potential to increase both the flight velocity and the range of gliders by means of such maneuvers. In these experiments the velocity to approach a thermal has been recognized as a critical performance factor, and is chosen as the controlled variable. Accurate longitudinal controllers are required to track the optimal flight trajectories generated using path planning algorithms. These controllers are challenged by the presence of uncertain and time-varying aircraft dynamics, gust disturbances, and control actuator limitations. With a broader objective of utilizing thermals to optimize the flight performance of autonomous UAVs, we focus on handling elevator constraints imposed on an uncertain aircraft model whose parameters are estimated online. We implement an adaptive control design with two different add-on schemes to address both the actuator magnitude and rate constraints. The first approach is based on an anti-windup compensator, whereas the second one uses the reference governor. The two constrained control methodologies are compared through simulation results.
CitationKahveci, N. and Kolmanovsky, I., "Constrained Control of UAVs Using Adaptive Anti-windup Compensation and Reference Governors," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3097, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3097.
- Zhao Y. J. Qi Y. C. “Minimum fuel powered dynamic soaring of unmanned aerial vehicles utilizing wind gradients,” Optimal Control Applications and Methods: Wiley InterScience 25 5 211 233 Nov 2004
- Zhao Y. J. “Optimal patterns of glider dynamic soaring,” Optimal Control Applications and Methods: Wiley InterScience 25 2 67 89 May 2004
- Sachs G. da Costa O. “Optimization of dynamic soaring at ridges,” AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibit Austin, TX Aug. 2003
- Reichmann H. Cross-Country Soaring Hobbs, NM Soaring Society of America 1993
- Metzger D. E. Hedrick J. K. “Optimal flight paths for soaring flight,” 2nd International Symposium on the Technology and Science of Low Speed and Motorless Flight Cambridge, MA Sept. 1974
- Qi Y. C. Zhao Y. J. “Energy-efficient trajectories of unmanned aerial vehicles flying through thermals,” Journal of Aerospace Engineering 18 2 84 92 Apr. 2005
- Kahveci N. E. Ioannou P. A. Mirmirani M. D. “Optimal static soaring of UAVs using vehicle routing with time windows,” 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Reno, NV Jan. 2007
- Kahveci N. E. Ioannou P. A. Mirmirani M. D. “Adaptive LQ control with anti-windup augmentation to optimize UAV performance in autonomous soaring applications,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 16 4 691 707 July 2008
- Kahveci N. E. Ioannou P. A. Mirmirani M. D. “A heuristic search algorithm for maneuvering of UAVs across dense thermal areas,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit Hilton Head, SC Aug. 2007
- Ioannou P. A. Sun J. Robust Adaptive Control Upper Saddle River, NJ Prentice Hall 1996
- Turner M. C. Herrmann G. Postlethwaite I. “Accounting for uncertainty in anti-windup synthesis,” Proceedings of the 2004 American Control Conference 6 Boston, MA June 2004 5292 5297
- Grimm G. Hatfield J. Postlethwaite I. Teel A. R. Turner M. C. Zaccarian L. “Antiwindup for stable linear systems with input saturation: An LMI-based synthesis,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 48 9 1509 1525 Sept. 2003
- Kahveci N. E. Ioannou P. A. “Indirect adaptive control for systems with input rate saturation,” Proceedings of the 2008 American Control Conference Seattle, WA July 2008 3396 3401
- Brieger O. Kerr M. Leiβling D. Postlethwaite I. Sofrony J. Turner M. C. “Anti-windup compensation of rate saturation in an experimental aircraft,” Proceedings of the 2007 American Control Conference New York City July 2007 924 929
- Gilbert E. G. Kolmanovsky I. V. “Nonlinear tracking control in the presence of state and control constraints: A generalized reference governor,” Automatica 38 12 2063 2073 Dec. 2002
- Gilbert E. G. Kolmanovsky I. V. “Fast reference governors for systems with state and control constraints and disturbance inputs,” International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control 9 15 1117 1141 Dec. 1999