This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation and Design of Leaf Spring Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A nonlinear leaf spring FEA simulation technique is developed. An explicit nonlinear FEA code which considers large deflection and inter-leaf contacts has been used in the simulation. The basic characteristics of leaf springs, stress, stiffness and inter-leaf slipage, can be accurately calculated. Two different kinds of leaf springs which are variable stiffness leaf spring and tapered leaf spring have been studied using the FEA technology. Simulation results correlate well to test data. Based on the FEA simulations, relationships between the stress distribution rule and other factors, i.e., length and thickness, have been summarized. Rules of stress determination between leafs are established. Also, the relationship between the change of stiffness and the slippage between leafs caused by different forms of arcs of leaf spring was investigated.
CitationWang, P., Zhang, C., and Liu, Y., "Simulation and Design of Leaf Spring Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2897, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2897.
- Zhang Yinghui “Manuals for Springs” Mechanical Press 1997
- Zou Hairong Huang Qibai “Study on the fracture of automobile leaf spring by CAE based on nonlinear analysis” JOURNAL OF HUAZHONG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY NATURE SCIENCE 3 2003
- Yu Anhe Gui Liangjin Fan Zijie “Finite Element Analysis on the Stiffness of Leaf Springs AUTOMOBILE TECHNOLOGY 2 2007
- He Hui Duan Min Chen Yong “Optimizing Design Calculation of Equally Thick Section and Gradual Rigidity leaf Spring” AUTOMOBILE TECHNOLOGY 4 2000
- Wang Qingwu Solve the Stiffness and Stress of Tapered Leaf Spring with Search Method 7 2004
- Zheng Yinhuan Zhang Zhongpu Optimum Design and Calculation of Variable Rate Leaf Spring MACHINE TOOL & HYDRAULICS 3 2005
- Hu Guoyou Xia Pinqi Curvature-Force Hybrid Method for Calculating Properties of Leaf Springs with Variable Stiffness JOURNAL OF NANJING UNIVERSITY OF AERONAUTICS & ASTRONAUTICS 1 2008
- Liu Hongling Liu Yang Chen Wei Zhao Xiaofeng Simulative emulation of leaf spring with gradually hanging stiffness JOURNAL OF MACHINE DESIGN 11 2006