This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Neutron Imaging of Diesel Particulate Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article presents nondestructive neutron computed tomography (nCT) measurements of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) as a method to measure ash and soot loading in the filters. Uncatalyzed and unwashcoated 200cpsi cordierite DPFs exposed to 100% biodiesel (B100) exhaust and conventional ultra low sulfur 2007 certification diesel (ULSD) exhaust at one speed-load point (1500 rpm, 2.6 bar BMEP) are compared to a brand new (never exposed) filter. Precise structural information about the substrate as well as an attempt to quantify soot and ash loading in the channel of the DPF illustrates the potential strength of the neutron imaging technique.
CitationStrzelec, A., Bilheux, H., Finney, C., Daw, C. et al., "Neutron Imaging of Diesel Particulate Filters," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2735, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2735.
- Kostoglou, M. Konstandopolous, A.G. Effect of Soot Layer Microstructure on Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration AIChE Journal 51 2534 2546 2005
- Koltsakis, G.C. Samaras, Z.C. Echtle, H. Chatterjee, D. Markou, P. Haralampous, O.A. Flow Maldistribution Effects on DPF Performance 2009 2009-01-1280
- (MECA), M.o.E.C.A. Diesel Particulate Filter Maintenance Current Practices and Experience 2005 Washington, DC.
- Bunting, B.G. More, K. Lewis, S. Toops, T. Phosphorous Poisoning and Phosphorous Exhaust Chemistry with Diesel Oxidation Catalysts 2005 SAE Paper 2005-01-1758
- Bardasz, E.A. Cowling, S. Panesar, A. Durham, J. Tadrous, T.A. Effects of Lubricant Derived Chemistries on Performance of the Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filters 2005 SAE Paper 2005-01-2168
- Sappok, A.G. Beauboef, D. Wong, V.W. A Novel Accelerated Aging System to Study Lubricant Additive Effects on Diesel Aftertreatment System Degradation 2008 SAE Paper 2008-01-1549
- Karin, P. Cui, L. Rubio, P. Tsuruta, T. Hanamura, K. Microscopic Visualization of PM Trapping and Regeneration in Micro-Structural Pores of a DPF Wall 2009 SAE Paper 2009-01-1476
- Daido, S. Takagi, N. Visualization of the PM Deposition and Oxidation Behavior Inside the DPF Wall 2009 SAE Paper 2009-01-1473
- Zandhuis, J.A. Finney, C.E.A. Toops, T.J. Partridge, W.P. Daw, C.S. Fox, T. Nondestructive X-ray Inspection of Thermal Damage, Soot and Ash Distributions in Diesel Particulate Filters 2009 SAE Paper 2009-01-0289
- Ismail, B. Ewing, D. Chang, J.-S. Cotton, J.S. Development of a non-destructive neutron radiography technique to measure the three-dimensional soot deposition profiles in diesel engine exhaust systems Journal of Aerosol Science 35 1275 1288 2004
- Calzada, E. Schillinger, B. Grunauer, F. Construction and Assembly of the Neutron Radiography and Tomography Facility ANTARES at FRM II Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 542 38 44 2005
- Harvel, G. Chang, J.-S. Ewing, D. Fanson, P. Kakinohana, M. Measurement of Multi-Dimension Soot Distribution in Diesel Particulate Filters by a Dynamic Neutron Radiography 2009 SAE Paper 2009-01-1263
- Manke, I. et al. Investigation of soot sediments in particulate filters and engine components 2009
- Anderson, I. McGreevy, R. Bilheux, H. Neutron Imaging and Applications Springer Science 2009
- Wagner, R.M. Green, J.B. Dam, T.Q. Edwards, K.D. Storey, J.M. Simultaneous Low Engine-Out NOx and Particulate Matter with Highly Diluted Diesel Combustion 2003 SAE Paper 2003-01-0262
- Sluder, C.S. Wagner, R.M. Lewis, S.A. Storey, J.M.E. Fuel Property Effects on Emissions from High Efficiency Clean Combustion in a Diesel Engine 2006 SAE Paper 2006-01-0080
- Herman, G. Reconstruction from Projections: The Fundamentals of Computerized Tomography Academic Press 1980
- X-rayLAB Octopus http://xraylab.com
- Sappok, A. Santiago, M. Vianna, T. Wong, V.W. Characteristics and Effects of Ash Accumulation on Diesel Particulate Filter Performance: Rapidly Aged and Field Aged Results 2009 SAE Paper 2009-01-1086