This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimizing Early Injection Strategy for Diesel PCCI Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A low swirl, low compression ratio engine with narrow fuel spray angle injector was used to investigate the cylinder wall wetting process of early direct injection strategies. A methodology was developed in order to detect liquid fuel impingement on the cylinder wall oil film.
First, single injection tests were performed in order to investigate the effect of injection pressure and start of injection on the amount of fuel that can be injected in the combustion chamber without liquid fuel cylinder wall impingement. Then double injection strategies were performed to verify the existence of interactions between successive injections for early injection thermodynamic conditions. Finally an optimization of the injection strategy maximizing the fuel quantity without cylinder wall wetting is proposed.
Results obtained for single early direct injection show that all conditions of injection timing during the intake stroke lead to cylinder wall wetting above a given injected mass. Moreover during this stroke the injection pressure has no effect on the maximum injected mass without cylinder wall wetting. During the compression stroke, the earlier the injection timing or the higher the injection pressure, the less fuel mass can be injected without cylinder wall wetting.
Results of double early direct injection show that in the operating range investigated (low temperature, low density), no interaction between successive injections was detected.
The injection strategy proposed showed that it is not possible to reach a realistic charge using only very early direct injections for the conditions of this study: later direct injections were added in order to reach an objective of ~ 6bar IMEP.
- M. André - 1 IFP- Rueil-Malmaison 2 lnstitut PRISME- Université d‛Orléans
- B. Walter - 1 IFP- Rueil-Malmaison 2 lnstitut PRISME- Université d‛Orléans
- G. Bruneaux - 1 IFP- Rueil-Malmaison 2 lnstitut PRISME- Université d‛Orléans
- F. Foucher - 1 IFP- Rueil-Malmaison 2 lnstitut PRISME- Université d‛Orléans
- C. Mounaim-Rousselle - 1 IFP- Rueil-Malmaison 2 lnstitut PRISME- Université d‛Orléans
CitationAndré, M., Walter, B., Bruneaux, G., Foucher, F. et al., "Optimizing Early Injection Strategy for Diesel PCCI Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2731, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2731.
- Neely, G.D. Sasaki, S. Huang, Y. Leet, J.A. Stewart, D.W. New Diesel Emission Control Strategy to Meet US Tier 2 Emissions Regulations. SAE Paper 2005-01-1091 2005
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Pilot Fuel SAE Paper 2000-01-1835 2000
- Gray, A.W.B. Ryan, T.W. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Diesel Fuel SAE Paper 971676 1997
- Hultqvist, A. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Franke, A. Richter, M. Alden, M. A Study of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging. SAE Paper 1999-01-3680 1999
- Baranescu, G.S. Internal Combustion Engine with Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Charge SAE Paper 940900 1994
- Ishii, H. Koike, N. Suzuki, H. Odaka, M. Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 2: Analysis of Combustion Phenomena and NOx Formation by Numerical Simulation with Experiment SAE Paper 970315 1997
- Suzuki, H. Koike, N. Ishii, H. Odaka, M. Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 1: Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Behavior Under Pre-Mixed Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Method SAE Paper 970313 1997
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Ogawa, H. Muranaka, S. Enomoto, Y. New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High-Efficiency Small Dl Diesel Engines. SAE Paper 1999-01-3681 1999
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Kitahara, Y. Aiyoshizawa, E. Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards SAE Paper 2001-01-0200 2001
- Buchwald, R. Brauer, M. Blechstein, A. Sommer, A. Kahrstedt, J. Adaptation of Injection System Parameters to Homogeneous Diesel Combustion. SAE Paper 2004-01-0936 2004
- Helmantel, A. Denbratt, I. HCCI Operation of a Passenger Car Common Rail Dl Diesel Engine With Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel SAE Paper 2004-01-0935 2004
- Iwabuchi, Y. Kawai, K. Shoji, T. Takeda, Y. Trial of New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignited Combustion SAE Paper 1999-01-0185 1999
- Walter, B. Gatellier, B. Development of the High Power NADITM Concept Using Dual Mode Diesel Combustion to Achieve Zero NOx and Particulate Emissions SAE Paper 2002-01-1744 2002
- Kim, M.Y. Lee, C.S. Effect of a narrow fuel spray angle and a dual injection configuration on the improvement of exhaust emissions in a HCCI diesel engine Fuel 2007 86 2871 2880
- Kim, H.-M. Kim, Y.-J. Lee, K.-H. A Study of the Characteristics of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a PCCI Engine Using an Early Multiple Injection Strategy. Energy 8 Fuels 2008 22 1542 1548
- Lechner, G.A. Jacobs, T.J. Chryssakis, C.A. Assanis, D.N. Siewert, R.M. Evaluation of a Narrow Spray Cone Angle, Advanced Injection Timing Strategy to Achieve Partially Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion in a Diesel Engine SAE Paper 2005-01-0167 2005
- Ra, Y. Reitz, R.D. The Use of Variable Geometry Sprays With Low Pressure Injection for Optimization of Diesel HCCI Engine Combustion SAE Paper 2005-01-0148 2005
- Su, H. Mosbach, S. Kraft, M. Bhave, A. Kook, S. Bae, C Two-stage Fuel Direct Injection in a Diesel Fuelled HCCI Engine. SAE Paper 2007-01-1880 2007
- Aleiferis, P.G. Charalambides, A. G. Hardalupas, Y. Taylor, A. M. K. P. Urata, Y. Modelling and Experiments of HCCI Engine Combustion with Charge Stratification and Internal EGR. SAE paper 2005-01-3725 2005
- Dec, J.E. Hwang, W. Sjoberg, M. An Investigation of Thermal Stratification in HCCI Engines Using Chemiluminescence Imaging SAE Paper 2006-01-1518 2006
- Sjoberg, M. Dec, J.E. Cernansky, N.P. Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, Based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments SAE Paper 2005-01-0113 2005
- Sjoberg, M. Dec, J.E. Effects of Engine Speed, Fueling Rate, and Combustion Phasing on the Thermal Stratification Required to Limit HCCI Knocking Intensity SAE Paper 2005-01-2125 2005
- Sjoberg, M. Dec, J.E. Smoothing HCCI Heat-Release Rates Using Partial Fuel Stratification with Two-Stage Ignition Fuels SAE Paper 2006-01-0629 2006
- Kook, S. Pickett, L.M. Musculus, M.P.B. Kattke, K. Gemlich, R.K. Liquid-Phase Diesel Spray Penetration during End-of-lnjection Transient, in The Seventh International Conference on Modeling and Diagnostics for Advanced Engine Systems (COMODIA 2008) 2008: Sapporo, Japan
- Kook, S. Pickett, L.M. Musculus, M.P.B. Influence of Diesel Injection Parameters on End-of-lnjection Liquid Length Recession SAE Paper 2009-01-1356 2009
- Pickett, L.M. Kook, S. Williams, T.C. Transient Liquid Penetration of Early-Injection Diesel Sprays. SAE Paper 2009-01-0839 2009
- Tonini, S. Gavaises, M. Arcoumanis, C Theodorakakos, A. Prediction of Liquid and Vapour Penetration of High Pressure Diesel Sprays. SAE Paper 2006-01-0242 2006
- Kashdan, J.T. Mendez, S. Bruneaux, G. An Investigation of Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in Wall Guided, Low Temperature Diesel Combustion. Oil and Gas Science and Technology-Rev. IFP 2008 63 433 459
- Miles, P. On sources of CO and UHC emissions in low-temperature diesel combustion regimes in 2007 Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Symposium. 2007: Lund, Sweden
- Dronniou, N. Lejeune, M. Balloul, I. Higelin, P. Combination of High EGR Rates and Multiple Injection Strategies to Reduce Pollutant Emissions SAE Paper 2005-01-3726 2005
- Su, T.F. Patterson, M.A. Reitz, R.D. Farrell, P.V. Experimental and Numerical Studies of High Pressure Multiple Injection Sprays. SAE Paper 960861 1996
- Siebers, D.L. Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization SAE Paper 1999-01-0528 1999
- Walter, B. Monteiro, L Miche, M. Gatellier, B. Improvement of Exhaust and Noise Emissions of the NADITM concept using pre-mixed type combustion with multiple stages injection, in Le Diesel: aujourd’hui et demain (SIA) 2004
- Dec, J.E. Sjoberg, M. Isolating the Effects of Fuel Chemistry on Combustion Phasing in an HCCI Engine and the Potential of Fuel Stratification for Ignition Control SAE Paper 2004-01-0557 2004
- Zheng, Z. Yao, M. Charge stratification to control HCCI: Experiments and CFD modeling with n-heptane as fuel Fuel 2009 88 354 365
- Kakuho, A. Nagamine, M. Amenomori, Y. Urushihara, T. Itoh, T. In-Cylinder Temperature Distribution Measurement and Its Application to HCCI Combustion. SAE Paper 2006-01-1202 2006