This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Enriched CNG - a Tool for Dual Fuel Engine Overall Performance Improvement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The potential of hydrogen-methane blends application in dual-fuel SI engines in their overall performance improvement has been evaluated and described in this paper. The 1.6 litre engine alternatively fed with petrol, CNG and with methane-hydrogen blends has been tested. Generated outboard methane-hydrogen blends, used in the research programme featured following hydrogen-CNG ratios: 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% and 30%. For selected engine operating conditions, a complete set of data defining engine overall performance, such as power output, in-cylinder pressure variation, manifold pressure and finally mass fuel consumption has been acquired. On the basis of registered data for all the tested fuels, with the use of mathematical model describing the exhaust gases formation it was possible to estimate the NO, CO and CO2 emission levels. Obtained results made it possible to compare the combustion processes for all of the tested fuels and to point on the significant influence of hydrogen share in the methane-hydrogen blends, on the CO2 emission reduction. Complete analysis featured also the evaluation and analysis of the negative aspects of H2-CH4 blends application, like the engine thermal load increase.
CitationFlekiewicz, M., Kubica, G., and B., F., "Hydrogen Enriched CNG - a Tool for Dual Fuel Engine Overall Performance Improvement," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2681, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2681.
- Bach C.,Lämmle C,Bill R.,Soltic P.,Dyntar D.,Jammer P.at al. Clean engine vehicle: a natural gas driven Euro-4/SULEV with 30% CO2 emission . SAE Paper 2004-01-0645, 2004.
- Berner H-J,Bargende M. Ein CO 2 - minimales Antriebskonzept auf Basis des Kraftstoffes Erdgas . Haus der Technik Fachbuch Band 37, Expert Verlag, Essen, 2004.
- Stebar R.F., Parks F.B. Emission control with lean operation using hydrogen-supplemented fuel . SAE Paper 740187, 1974.
- Parks F.B., A single-cylinder engine study on hydrogen-rich fuels . SAE Papers 760099, 1999
- Varde K.S. Combustion characteristics of small spark ignition engines using hydrogen supplemented fuel mixtures . SAE Paper 810921, 1981.
- Karim G.A., Wierzba I., Al-Alousi Y. Methane-hydrogen mixtures as fuels . Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 1996 ; 21 (7).
- Collier K., Hoekstra R.L., Mulligan N., Jones C., Hahn D. Untreated exhausts emission of a hydrogen-enriched CNG production engine conversion . SAE Paper 960858, 1996.
- Bauer C.G., Forest T.W. Effect of hydrogen addition on the performance of methane-fueled vehicles . International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 26 (2001).
- Flekiewicz M. Experimental analysis of hydrogen-CNG potential application for SI engine . Zeszyty Naukowe Silesian University of Technology, Transport, 46, 2007.
- Flekiewicz M., Flekiewicz B. Hydrogen-CNG mixture as an alternative for SI engines propulsion . www.kape.gov.pl .
- Flekiewicz M., Kubica G.: The practical verification of the mathematical model of gas engine powered by LPG . Proceedings of 8 th European Automotive Congress, Bratislava 2001,
- Mackowski J.,Wilk K.,: The effect of the mixture and flame front initial temperature on the heat transfer between the zones in the CI engine . 12 th International symposium in combustion process. Bielsko Biała, Poland 1991.
- Flekiewicz M., Kubica G., Wilk K. The Selected aspects of exhaust gases composition in gas engines . Proceedings of International Symposium “Motauto‘02” Russe 2002.
- Flekiewicz M., Kubica G., Wilk K. An Attempt of prediction of exhaust gases composition in SI engines alternatively powered by petrol and LPG . VII th International Conference GAS ENGINE 2006.
- Flekiewicz M.,Kubica G.,Flekiewicz B.: The possibility of the SI engine CO 2 emission reduction with the application of CNG- Hydrogen blends . Journal of Kones 2008. Vol. 14 .
- Flekiewicz M., Fabis P., Flekiewicz B.: On board recognition of different fuels feeding SI engines with the use of dimensional and nondimensional vibration signal parameters- Part 1 , SAE Paper 2009-01-2056
- Thurnheer*, T.Soltic, P.Dimopoulos: P. S.I. engine fuelled with gasoline, methane and methane hydrogen blends: Heat release and loss analysis . Int. J. of hydrogen energy, 34 (2009), pp. 2494 - 2503
- S. Orhan Akansu,Nafiz Kahraman,Bilge Çeper: Experimental study on a spark ignition engine fuelled by methane-hydrogen mixtures, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 (2007), pp. 4279 - 4284
- Jinhua Wang,Hao Chen,Bing Liu,Zuohua Huang: Study of cycle-by-cycle variations of a spark ignition engine fueled with natural gas-hydrogen blends . Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33 (2008), pp. 4876 - 4883
- Biagio Morrone,Andrea Unich: Numerical investigation on the effects of natural gas and hydrogen blends on engine combustion . Int. Journal of hydrogen energy, 34 (2009), pp. 4626 - 4634