This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Development of a Suit Port for Planetary Surface EVA — Design Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper present a summary of the design studies for the suit port proof of concept. The Suit Port reduces the need for airlocks by docking the suits directly to a rover or habitat bulkhead. The benefits include reductions in cycle time and consumables traditionally used when transferring from a pressurized compartment to EVA and mitigation of planetary surface dust from entering into the cabin. The design focused on the development of an operational proof of concept evaluated against technical feasibility, level of confidence in design, robustness to environment and failure, and the manufacturability. A future paper will discuss the overall proof of concept and provide results from evaluation testing including gas leakage rates upon completion of the testing program.
|Aerospace Standard||Closed-Cycle Protective Breathing Devices|
|Technical Paper||An LN2 Fuel Tank Inerting System for Commercial Transports|
|Technical Paper||Thermal Conductivity of Lofty Nonwovens in Space and Planetary Vacuum Environment|
CitationChartres, J., Koss, B., Brivkalns, C., Webbon, B. et al., "Preliminary Development of a Suit Port for Planetary Surface EVA — Design Studies," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2586, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2586.
- Gaier, J., 2005, The Effects of Lunar Dust on EVA Systems During the Apollo Missions, NASA TM— 2005–213610
- Wagner, S., 2006, The Apollo Experience Lessons Learned for Constellation Lunar Dust Management, NASA TP-2006-213726
- Webbon, B., Luna, B., Brown, J., Gonzales, A., Jones, H., Koss, B. and Smith, D., 2007, Innovative Concepts for Planetary EVA Access, Proceedings from International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2007-01-3245
- Jones, H., 2007, Planetary Airlock and Suitlock Requirements and Alternate Approaches, Proceedings from International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2007-01-3210
- Romig, B., Allton, C., Litaker, H., 2009, 1-g Suit Port Concept Evaluator 2008 Test Results, Proceedings from International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2009, 09ICES-0119