This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engineering Support for Columbus: a Hydraulic Model of the Air Loop
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
On the 11th February 2008, the Columbus pressurized module has been successfully installed into the International Space Station. TAS-I (Thales Alenia Space - Italy) is responsible for the Off-Site Engineering Support to Columbus for ECLSS/TCS.
A dedicated test-campaign has been proposed by TAS-I and performed on board Columbus during the first months after its docking to the Space Station, in order to have a Hydraulic Model of the entire Columbus air-loop correlated with real on-board data. A specific tool has been realized for the calculation of the Fans speeds (at ISFA, CFA1 or CFA2 level) to be expected and commanded in case of critical event so that a comfortable and safe environment for both astronauts and payloads can be ensured.
The first part of this paper briefly presents the successful results of the employment of a tool previously realized by TAS-I for the calculation of cabin air volume flow rate from air loop telemetry data (primarily fans delta pressure and input current). The second part presents the description of the hydraulic model for the air-loop and its importance in the engineering support of Columbus all along next years.
CitationAudrito, G., Parodi, P., Antonacci, M., di Francescantonio, N. et al., "Engineering Support for Columbus: a Hydraulic Model of the Air Loop," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2531, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2531.
- “ECLSS Activities for Preparation of Columbus Stage 1.E” ICES paper 2008-01-2059
- “Hydraulic and Thermal Analysis of the APM Cabin Ventilation Loop” COL-DOR-TN-0232, Issue 6/0, 15/0/03 EADS Space Transportation
- “Flight Configuration Integrated Overall Thermal Mathematical Model Description” COL-RP-AI-0098, Issue 6/1, 11/06/04 Alenia Spazio
- “CFA Aerolic Performance Map Test” (FM2 — CFA2) COL-SREM-TR-321, Issue 1/1, 26/04/00 Soterem
- “CFA Aerolic Performance Map Test” (FM3 — ISFA) COL-SREM-TR-328, Issue 1/1, 26/04/00 Soterem
- “CFA Aerolic Performance Map Test” (FM5 — IRFA) COL-SREM-TR-479, Issue 1/1, 26/04/00 Soterem
- “CFA Aerolic Performance Map Test” (PFM1 — CFA1) COL-SREM-TR-479, Issue 1/1, 21/10/99 Soterem