This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hand Posture Prediction for Designing Position of Push-Button Switches on a Steering Wheel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 09, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a method using a limited number of measured postures to estimate the hand posture necessary to push a button on an automobile steering wheel by the thumb tip. The estimation is divided into two processes. First, the approximate posture to push a button is calculated by interpolation using measured reference postures. Then, the posture estimate is optimized so that the thumb tip reaches a given goal as nearly as possible. The accuracy of the proposed method is validated by comparing the estimated postures with measured ones that are not used as reference postures.
|Technical Paper||An Application of a Digital Hand to Ergonomic Assessment of Handheld Information Appliances|
|Technical Paper||On-Car Evaluation-Methods to Understand Condensation in Headlamps|
|Technical Paper||The Case 621 Wheel Loader|
CitationMiyata, N. and Mochimaru, M., "Hand Posture Prediction for Designing Position of Push-Button Switches on a Steering Wheel," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2285, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2285.
- Takeuchi Shuichi, Nishikawa Masato, Suzuki Takashi, Shinzato Takashi and Miyata Masahiko, “Ergonomic Considerations in Steering Wheel Controls”, Proc. SAE DHM 2000, 2000-01-0169, 2000.
- Wang Xuguang, Chevalot Nicolas and Monnier Gilles, “From Motion Capture to Motion Simulation: An In-vehicle Reach Motion Database for Car Design”, Proc. SAE DHM 2006, 2006-01-2362, 2006.
- Miller A. T., Knoop S., Allen P. K., Christensen H. I.. “Automatic Grasp Planning Using Shape Primitives,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, 1824-1829, Taipei, Sep., 2003.
- El Koura G., Singh K., “Handrix: Animating the Human Hand”, Proc. Eurographics/SIGGRAPH Symp. Computer Animation, 110-119, 2003.
- Yang Jingzhou, Pitarch Esteban Pena, Kim Joo and Abdel-Malek Karim, “Posture Prediction and Force/Torque Analysis for Human Hands”, Proc. SAE DHM 2006, 2006-01-2326, 2006.
- Lee Sang-Wook, Zhang Xudong “Development and evaluation of an optimization-based model for power-grip posture prediction”, Journal of Biomechanics 38, 1591-1597, 2005.
- Miyata Natsuki, Kouchi Makiko, Mochimaru Masaaki, “Posture Estimation for Design Alternative Screening by DhaibaHand - Cell Phone Operation”, Proc. SAE DHM 2006, 2006-01-2327, Lyon, Jul., 2006.
- Endo Yui, Kanai Satoshi, Miyata Natsuki, Kouchi Makiko, Mochimaru Masaaki, Konno Jun, Ogasawara Michiyo, and Shimokawa Marie, “Optimization-Based Grasp Posture Generation Method of Digital Hand for Virtual Ergonomics Assessment,” Proc. SAE DHM 2008, 2008-01-1902, 2008.
- Rose, Charles F. III, Sloan Peter Pike J., Cohen Michael F., “Artist-Directed Inverse-Kinematics Using Radial Basis Function Interpolation”, Computer Graphics Forum 2001, Vol. 20, No. 3, 239-250, 2001.
- Mukai Tomohiko and Kuriyama Shigeru, “Geostatistical Motion Interpolation”, ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol. 24, Issue. 3, 1062-1070, 2005.