This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hand Posture Prediction for Designing Position of Push-Button Switches on a Steering Wheel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 09, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a method using a limited number of measured postures to estimate the hand posture necessary to push a button on an automobile steering wheel by the thumb tip. The estimation is divided into two processes. First, the approximate posture to push a button is calculated by interpolation using measured reference postures. Then, the posture estimate is optimized so that the thumb tip reaches a given goal as nearly as possible. The accuracy of the proposed method is validated by comparing the estimated postures with measured ones that are not used as reference postures.
|Technical Paper||An Application of a Digital Hand to Ergonomic Assessment of Handheld Information Appliances|
|Technical Paper||On-Car Evaluation-Methods to Understand Condensation in Headlamps|
|Technical Paper||The Case 621 Wheel Loader|
CitationMiyata, N. and Mochimaru, M., "Hand Posture Prediction for Designing Position of Push-Button Switches on a Steering Wheel," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2285, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2285.
- Takeuchi Shuichi Nishikawa Masato Suzuki Takashi Shinzato Takashi Miyata Masahiko “Ergonomic Considerations in Steering Wheel Controls” Proc. SAE DHM 2000, 2000-01-0169 2000
- Wang Xuguang Chevalot Nicolas Monnier Gilles “From Motion Capture to Motion Simulation: An In-vehicle Reach Motion Database for Car Design” Proc. SAE DHM 2006, 2006-01-2362 2006
- Miller A. T. Knoop S. Allen P. K. Christensen H. I. “Automatic Grasp Planning Using Shape Primitives,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation 1824 1829 Taipei Sep. 2003
- El Koura G. Singh K. “Handrix: Animating the Human Hand” Proc. Eurographics/SIGGRAPH Symp. Computer Animation 110 119 2003
- Yang Jingzhou Pitarch Esteban Pena Kim Joo Abdel-Malek Karim “Posture Prediction and Force/Torque Analysis for Human Hands” Proc. SAE DHM 2006, 2006-01-2326 2006
- Lee Sang-Wook Zhang Xudong “Development and evaluation of an optimization-based model for power-grip posture prediction” Journal of Biomechanics 38 1591 1597 2005
- Miyata Natsuki Kouchi Makiko Mochimaru Masaaki “Posture Estimation for Design Alternative Screening by DhaibaHand - Cell Phone Operation” Proc. SAE DHM 2006, 2006-01-2327 Lyon Jul. 2006
- Endo Yui Kanai Satoshi Miyata Natsuki Kouchi Makiko Mochimaru Masaaki Konno Jun Ogasawara Michiyo Shimokawa Marie “Optimization-Based Grasp Posture Generation Method of Digital Hand for Virtual Ergonomics Assessment,” Proc. SAE DHM 2008, 2008-01-1902 2008
- Rose, Charles F. III Sloan Peter Pike J. Cohen Michael F. “Artist-Directed Inverse-Kinematics Using Radial Basis Function Interpolation” Computer Graphics Forum 2001 20 3 239 250 2001
- Mukai Tomohiko Kuriyama Shigeru “Geostatistical Motion Interpolation” ACM Transactions on Graphics 24 3 1062 1070 2005