This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Truck Interior Noise Correlation using the SAE Road Load Method in the Commissioning of the E-A-R™ Acoustic Technology Center
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports the correlation of truck interior noise, near the driver's right ear, between driving on road and while operating on a dynamometer. It was a critical benchmark in the commissioning process of a heavy-duty truck anechoic chassis dynamometer. It required road load data to be gathered on a Proving Ground, using the Coast Down procedure detailed in SAE J2263 OCT96, and then simulated, while operating the same test vehicle on the dynamometer, using SAE J2264 APR95. The criteria for interior noise comparisons were typical Class 8 driving scenarios: constant high gear cruising, full power single gear acceleration runs, and engine braking. The analyses using these SAE standards, together with the final correlation results, are presented and discussed. A footnote is the unique challenge of Class 8 testing versus SAE coast down procedure, since truck transmissions must not be tested in Neutral, per SAE protocol, to avoid damage.
CitationJorro, S., Thompson, K., and Smith, A., "Truck Interior Noise Correlation using the SAE Road Load Method in the Commissioning of the E-A-R™ Acoustic Technology Center," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2240, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2240.
- Measurements of Vertical Distribution of Truck Noise Sources During Highway Cruise Passbys Using Acoustic Beam-Forming-Paul Donavan, Bruce Rymer, Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting 2009 Paper #09-3517
- SAE J2263 OCT 96 - Road Load Measurement Using Onboard Anemometry And Coastdown Techniques
- SAE J1263 JAN09 - Road Load Measurement and Dynamometer Simulation Using Coastdown Techniques
- AAM NOV 99 -Dynamometer Performance Evaluation and Quality Assurance Procedures
- NVH Variations in Diesel Engine Populations Reinhart-Roush Thomas E. Industries Inc. Sampath-formerly Arun M. Roush Industries, Inc. Kalyan Singh Bagga-International Truck and Engine Corp., George Leistensnider-International Truck and Engine Corp. SAE 2003-01-1723