This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A CFD/SEA Approach for Prediction of Vehicle Interior Noise due to Wind Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For most car manufacturers, aerodynamic noise is becoming the dominant high frequency noise source (> 500 Hz) at highway speeds. Design optimization and early detection of issues related to aeroacoustics remain mainly an experimental art implying high cost prototypes, expensive wind tunnel sessions, and potentially late design changes. To reduce the associated costs as well as development times, there is strong motivation for the development of a reliable numerical prediction capability. The goal of this paper is to present a computational approach developed to predict the greenhouse windnoise contribution to the interior noise heard by the vehicle passengers. This method is based on coupling an unsteady Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) solver for the windnoise excitation to a Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) solver for the structural acoustic behavior. The basic strategy is to convert the time-domain pressure signals generated by CFD everywhere on the panels into structural power inputs, which in turn are used as input to an SEA model leading to the noise inside the cabin. This approach quantifies the windnoise contribution coming from different panels (e.g. side windows, windshield) at various locations inside the vehicle (driver and passenger headspace). In this paper the key technical and numerical aspects of the approach are presented, and interior noise predictions corresponding to real automotive cases are compared to experimental measurements. As examples of the usage, a vehicle exterior shape design study and an acoustic package optimization study are presented.
CitationMoron, P., Powell, R., Freed, D., Perot, F. et al., "A CFD/SEA Approach for Prediction of Vehicle Interior Noise due to Wind Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2203, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2203.
- Powell R.E. Zhu J. Manning J.E. “SEA Modeling and Testing for airborne transmission through vehicle sound package” SAE Paper 971973 Traverse City, Michigan, USA 1997
- Moeller M.J. Thomas R.S. Powell R.E. “An Assessment of SEA model quality” SAE Paper 2001-01-1624 Traverse City, Michigan 2001
- Moron P. Musser C.T. “Use of SEA for Vehicle Target Setting and Efficient Realization of Vehicle Acoustic Goals” SAE Conference 2006
- Musser C.T. Moron P. “A Hybrid SEA-measurement technique to predict driver's ear SPL from energy flow through a vehicle dash and transfer functions” the Thirteenth International Congress on Sound and Vibration Vienna, Austria July 2-6 2006
- DeJong R.G. Bharj T.S. Lee J.J. “Vehicle Wind Noise Analysis Using a SEA Model with Measured Source Levels” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1629 Traverse City, Michigan 2001
- Peng G.C. “SEA Modeling of Vehicle Wind Noise and Load Case Representation,” SAE Paper 2007-01-2304 St. Charles, Illinois 2007
- Védy E. et al “Application of Statistical Noise Generation and Radiation for Aeroacoustic Predictions in the Automotive Industry,” SAE Paper 2005-01-2494 Traverse City, Michigan 2005
- DeJong R.G. Lee J.J. “Vehicle Glass Design Optimization Using a CFD/SEA Model,” SAE Paper 2007-01-2306 St. Charles, Illinois 2007
- Bremner P.G. Zhu M. “Recent Progress using SEA and CFD to Predict Interior Wind Noise,” SAE Paper 2003-01-1705 Traverse City, Michigan 2003
- Senthooran S. et al “Prediction of wall pressure fluctuations on an automobile side-glass using a lattice-Boltzmann method” AIAA Paper 2006-2559 Cambridge, Massachusetts 2006
- Crouse et al “Numerical Investigation of Underbody Aeroacoustic Noise of Automobiles” SAE Paper 2007-01-2400 St. Charles, Illinois 2007
- Senthooran S. Crouse B. Balasubramanian G. Freed D. Shin S.R. Ih K.D. “Effect of Surface Mounted Microphones on Automobile Side Glass Pressure Fluctuations,” Proceedings of the 7th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference Richoh Arena, UK Oct. 22 2008
- Senthooran, S. Crouse, B. Balasubramanian, G. Freed, D. Caridi, D. “Numerical simulation of wind noise on the sideglass of a production automobile,” FISITA Paper F2006D124 2006
- Freeman C.M. Gaylard A.P. “Integrating CFD and Experiment: The Jaguar Land Rover Aeroacoustics Process,” 7th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2008
- Lyon R.H. DeJong R.G. Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis Butterworth-Heinemann Newton, Massachusetts 1995
- SEAM Reference Manual Cambridge Collaborative, Inc. Cambridge, Massachusetts 2007