This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding Opinion Forming Processes During On-Road Evaluations of Whole Vehicle Sound Quality
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To improve the effectiveness and efficiency of decision making during vehicle development programmes, new interactive NVH simulation tools have been introduced. For their optimum use during the target setting of NVH attributes new methodologies need to be established. A valuable step in achieving this is to further understand opinion forming processes during on-road appraisals. To achieve this however new approaches to capture the events of an appraisal are needed.
This paper reports on the first steps taken towards developing these new approaches and demonstrates how attitudes towards vehicle sound quality and driver behavior can vary depending on the personality traits of the assessor and their role within the OEM.
This insight will provide a benchmark to compare how expert assessors and customers make decisions.
CitationGiudice, S., Humphreys, L., Jennings, P., Cain, R. et al., "Understanding Opinion Forming Processes During On-Road Evaluations of Whole Vehicle Sound Quality," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2187, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2187.
- Afaneh, A. H. Abdelhamid M. K. et al. 2007 Engineering Challenges with Vehicle Noise and Vibration is Product Development SAE 2007 Noise and Vibration St. Charles, IL, USA SAE: 2007-01-2434
- Allman-Ward, M. Williams R. et al. 2003 The Interactive NVH Simulator as a Practical Engineering Tool SAE 2003 Noise & Vibration Conference and Exhibition Grand Traverse, MI
- Bisping, R. 1995 Emotional Effect of Car Interior Sounds: Pleasantness and Power and Their Relation to Acoustic Key Features SAE: 951284
- Coolican, H. 1999 Research Methods and statistics in Psychology London, Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-74760
- Crewe, A Bogema, D Williams, R Ballam, M Allman-Ward, M 2003 ‘Sound Decomposition - A Key to Improved Sound Simulation' Noise & Vibration Conference and Exhibition May 2003 Grand Traverse, MI, USA SAE 2003-01-1423
- Dunne, G. Williams, R. Allman-Ward, M. 2007 “An Efficient Approach to Powertrain Sound Quality Decisions Making Based on Interactive Evaluations Using an NVH Simulator” SAE NVH 2007-01-2392
- Dunne, G. 2003 “The Introduction of Sound Quality Engineering Process to Jaguar Cars” University of Warwick Coventry
- Genuit, K. Bray W. R. 2001 A virtual Car: Prediction of Sound and Vibration in an Interactive Simulation Environment SAE Noise & Vibration Conference & Exposition Grand Traverse, MI, USA SAE: 2001-01-1474
- Genuit, K. Fiebig A. 2007 “The influence of combined environmental stimuli on the evaluation of acoustical comfort: case studies carried out in an interactive simulation environment.” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 3 2 119 129
- Giudice, S. Jennings, P. et al 2008 Optimising the value of Sound Quality evaluations by observing assessors' driving strategies Proceedings of EuroNoise 2008
- Giudice, S. Jennings, P. et al 2007 “Using and interactive NVH simulator to understand driver behaviour during sound evaluations” Proceedings of SAE paper number 07NVC-344 2007
- Giudice, S. Jennings, P. et al Development and evaluation of a new sound quality evaluation approach for interactive NVH simulators Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2006
- Goetchuis, G. Ketelhut C. et al. Subjective evalaution of NVH CAE Model Predictions Using an Operator - in - the-Loop Driving Simulator SAE Noise & Vibration Conference & Exposition Traverse, MI, USA
- Heino, A. van der Molen, H.H. Wilde, G.J.S. 1992 Report VK 92-02 Traffic Research Centre, University of Groningen Haren
- Humphrey's, L. Giudice, S. 2009 Understanding the opinion forming processes of experts and customers during evaluations of automotive sounds Proceedings of 13th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction
- Jennings, P. Giudice, S. et al Developing Best Practice for Sound Evaluation using an Interactive NVH Simulator Transactions of the JSAE 38 1 January 2007
- Matsuura, Y. Araki, K. Chen, Z. 1993 Study of Maneuvering Feeling Via Drivers Physiological Responses International Pacific Conference on Automotive Engineering
- Montag, I. Comrey, A. L. 1987 Internality and externality as correlates of involvement in fatal driving accidents Journal of Applied Psychology 72 339 343
- Otto, N. Amman S. et al. 1999 Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds Noise & Vibration Conference & Exposition Traverse City, MI, USA
- Perry, A. R. Baldwin, D. A. 2000 Further evidence of associations of Type A personality scores and driving-related attitudes and behaviours Perceptual and Motor Skills 91 147 154
- Reason, J. Manstead, A. Stardling, S. Baxter, J. Campbell, K. 1990 Errors and violations on the road: a real distinction Ergonomics 33 10-11 1315 1332
- Schulte-Fortkamp, B. Genuit K. et al. 2007 A New Approach for Developing Vehicle Target Sounds Sound and Vibration 12 14
- Terazawa, N. Kozawa Y. et al. 2000 Objective Evaluation of Exciting Engine Sound in Passenger Compartment during Acceleration SAE 2000 World Congress March 2000 Detroit, MI, USA SAE 2000-01-0177
- Tischler, M.A. Peter, C. Wimmer, M. Voskamp, J. 2007 Application of emotion recognition methods in automotive research Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Emotion and Computing - Current Research and Future Impact 50 55 Oldenburg, Germany September 2007
- Wickens, C. D. Hollands J. G. 1999 Engineering Psychology and Human Performance New Jersey, Prentice Hall 3rd 19 Nov 1999 0321047117
- Williams, R. Allman-Ward M. et al. 2006 Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to capture and understand customer opinions about vehicle sound and vibration Automobile Comfort Conference Le Mans, SIA
- Williams, R. Henderson F. et al. 2005 Using an Interactive NVH Simulator for target setting and concept evaluation in a new vehicle programme SAE 2005 Noise and Vibration Conference and Exhibition Grand Traverse, MI, USA SAE: 2005-01-2479
- Zuckerman, M. 1994 Behavioural Expressions and Biosocial Bases of Sensation-Seeking Cambridge Cambridge University Press